really boring stuff ....

10 replies to this topic
  • Fizz

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:20 AM

.. but what wont i go thorugh to get some time on the ice (and cheap to :bonk:) ....

the really fun part;
Posted Image
Posted Image
(yeah, i'm jelous of the two guys riding 06 yz250f/450f :cry: )

so i thought i'd try to make my own studs, everyone says it works so good! hopefully they'll last for some enduro during the winter to!

the less fun part;
Posted Image
Posted Image
(making the rear tire took two like ten hours of drilling and poking 250 M5x30 screws through thoose tiny holes :applause: )

(btw, is there a post count needed to post images, or is just plain forbidden? :cry: )

• dmoney2023

Posted January 05, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Ever try a paddle tire??

• xtreme165

Posted January 05, 2006 - 09:42 AM

You better line the inner tire with something so the screws dont push back through a little and keep giving you flats. Been there and have done what your doing and now after all the headaches and flats I have been running trellborgs for 3 yrs and not 1 flat. Plus now Mefo makes a trellborg like tire and it's alot cheaper $210 for the rear and $150 for the front. I have 3 yrs on my trellborgs and the front is like new and the rear will need to be replaced after this winter, the rear studs are good but they are ripping out now and I'm throwing knobbs on the rear tire so I'll just get another one and be tire headache free. Good like but again line the inside of your tire with some thick rubber or else I garentee you you'll get a flat. I used counter sunk screws when I made my own and still got flats as when you jump, hit a rock, log etc... the tire pushes in and the screw heads lift and pich you tube. I know some that have good luck but again they have mining belt type material glued in there tire to keep from getting flates and the entire home made spike deal is a pain and for the life you get out of trellborgs and or Mefo's I would buy a set. Exp. with the amount of snow in your Pic's the tires will last a lot longer. Good luck and have fun.

• xtreme165

Posted January 05, 2006 - 09:43 AM

All ya, I have buddies that just use the screws (short ones) and screw them into the knobbie and they get around great to and this is alot less work then going from the inside out. Again besure to use the shorter screws if you or anyone try's this way as well as the screw nees some room to push.

• mtrdrms

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:05 AM

All ya, I have buddies that just use the screws (short ones) and screw them into the knobbie and they get around great to and this is alot less work then going from the inside out. Again besure to use the shorter screws if you or anyone try's this way as well as the screw nees some room to push.

The screws work awesome on the ice but as soon as you go into the woods they rip right out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fizz

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:07 AM

dmoney <- it was only about 5 inches of snow, i think the ice beneath is to hard for paddle tires?

xtreme<- yeah i'm looking for something to line the inside with .. someone said that fire hoses would be great, but where do one find them? i dont think the fire dept. has a big pile of used hoses laying out side with a sign that says "take as much as you need" on it ...

last time (perhaps ten years ago) i used three inner tubes, and never got a flat either ... now i have no tubes laying around, so i guess i'll have to find something else ... :applause:

• 02YZ426

Posted January 05, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Ever try a paddle tire??

I did once... the ice had too much snow down for the picks to work so I threw on the paddle. All I can say is hold on!! As much fun as it was, I dont reccommend it because its just plain dangerous!

• 93gt

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:59 AM

I have a good freind who is hooked on ice racing his quads. He has been at me to stud my bike. It looks like fun, but I have Ski-Doos, and its already a short season. (in fact it hasnt even started for us here yet!)

• Icetool

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:20 AM

Check out this site: www.iceroadracing.fi :applause:

• CPBLOYER

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:19 AM

Icetool Your website doesn't load.

• Dustykat

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:39 AM

I grew up in Michigan and these pictures bring tears to the eye. *snif*

I miss my ice racing!!!!

A cool trick we used to do with studs was go down to the local bike shop and get some used street tires. Cut the side walls off them, cut them aross and them stuff them inside your knobbies. This allows you to run longer sheet metal screws without fear of puncture. Sure they are heavy, but it was all in the name of fun fun fun!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.