99 400, electrical, calling Rick in Orlando!!

2 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted January 05, 2006 - 02:46 AM

G'day everyone after reading through a lot of posts im in the process of wiring up a bateery and DC to my wr400. to anyone that may know, more specifically Rich (checked your website very helpful!) what do i do about the earth?? its got me stumped,
this is what i want to achieve
CDI on AC (coil, etc)
lights, horn, blinkers etc on DC
my dilema is, it seems that the regulator is earthed to the chassis, if i chuck a rectifier in, and wire in a battery, will my battery also be earthed?
i was under the impression that the DC light circuit would run a floating ground back to the battery.
if you look at the wiring diagram of a wrf400, the stator is earthed and also the black wire coming from the regulator, i know there is an earth wire attached at the coil, but is there another earth wire coming from the regulator earthed somewhere?
i can imagine how confusing this is. Rich, if your out there, i need your help!
cheers - Brett

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:26 AM

You need to un-ground the stator. Then use the chassis ground for all the DC. Check Baja Designs website, they have a wiring diagram for doing that. If it's not there, let me know, I can send you one. It's easy to do, just one wire from the stator ground to the regulator, then everything is DC.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 05, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Brett,

It's very simple. All you have to do is find a good point to tie in a ground (earth) wire. Get a 16 or 18 AWG wire and connect it to a good point on the frame. That wire goes to one of the AC poles on the rectifier. After that point, all the lights' grounds connect to the DC (-) from the battery. It says this on my website but it's buried deep in one of the paragraphs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.