busted header

3 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:52 AM

Well, last sunday at the track I ran into a fallen rider and we got tangled up. I have a huge dent in my header pipe. I dont think it would be good to ride it like it is(dented not punctured). I believe the stock header on these 03' yz450s are titanium correct? And from what I've gathered is that this metal becomes soft when hot correct? So I was thinking of just getting a stainless steel replacement. Would I lose any power going to stainless steel? How much of a weight difference is there between a stainless steel header and a titanium header? The two biggest reasons to go stainless for me is its cheaper and harder(right?).
I was thinking of buying it on rockymountainmc.com. They sell powerbomb and megabomb headers...would one of those work well with a Dr. D slip-on exhaust? I need as much power down low in the rpms as possible so I thought these pipes help in that area but dont know for sure. If anyone has a recommendation for a particular header please do tell!

• Matty05

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:14 AM

All metals become soft when hot. You won't loose any power what so ever going to stainless. The fmf headers should fit with the slip-on, they fit to stock. The FMF powerbomb seems to be the go, Yamaha has powerbomb style header on the '06 YZ's everywhere else but USA!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted January 05, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Look for a header off a YFZ450 quad. They are identical to the ti ones on YZ's and WR's, but stainless,... and cheap.

• YFZ Pilot

Posted January 05, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Why not get a dubach header?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.