Exhaust Packing?

4 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Does the stock exhaust have packing?

If so what is the best packing to buy?

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:55 PM

yes it does have packing, the only pipe I have seen with out packing is Aussie made staintune pipes.

As for best packing, any 2 stroke packing will do and is cheap and readily available.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simch

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:14 PM

It depends, MArcus, as fitted to a new machine they dont have packing but if you buy one from a dealer as a replacement, it may have packing...........otherwise it gets dented on the truck.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 11, 2006 - 09:41 PM

How often do you repack the Exhaust? In my former 2-Stroke days, I used a fiberglass pipe wrap material that you would use to insulate pipes with. About $1.50 at the hardware store. This material seems to be the same as the Muffler repack material but much cheaper. Thoughts on using this stuff?

• 642MX

Posted January 11, 2006 - 09:48 PM

There are 2 types of packing. 4 stroke packing is twice as heavy and more cotton-like in feel. 2 stoke packing is looser, kind of like fiberglass material. The smoker packing is designed to trap soot/oil, while the stroker packing is designed to deal with the additional heat of a valve and cam machine. I repack once a year, it always looks good when I change it, but it gives me something to do.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.