bikes and sand? problems?

12 replies to this topic
  • farmerjohn42

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:41 PM

I am thinking about a buying a wr426 02. The owner talked high of the bike but has ridden it a twice approx. 30 miles in the sand dunes with a paddle tire with no filter skins. Should i stay away from this bike because it might have ingested a little sand enough though the filter was oiled but no filter skins were used?
Does anyone remember if the 03 were electric start?

• Highflier

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:01 PM

The '02 doesn't have the e-start.

• ARin

Posted January 04, 2006 - 11:50 PM

sand is relatively large particle. if the filter was well oiled, there should be no harm.

• 99raptor

Posted January 05, 2006 - 11:45 AM

If in doubt give it a compression test.

• too much dust

Posted January 05, 2006 - 11:57 AM

There Are To Many Good Used Bikes To Buy Something You Are Not Sure About.uunless It Is A Very Good Deal I Would Pass And Keep Your Piece Of Mind

• danyz450

Posted January 05, 2006 - 12:29 PM

I've taken mine to Pismo 3 times. And I'm very anal with my bike......

Only bad part about riding in sand is the after cleaning your bike would require. Sand gets everywhere.

I haven't needed a filter skin. As long as your filter is oiled properly your good to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drtbikerider250

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:09 PM

i wouldnt worry about the owner not using filter skins as long as the filter was well oiled. i've never used filter skins, and i've never sucked any sand or dirt into my bike.

i saw a suggestion on another thread about buying used bikes. you could pull the filter out, and wipe a white cloth on the inside of the air boot to see if there is any dirt inside.

Tommy

• Bach Rider

Posted February 06, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I thought the idea of filter skins is that you could pull if off and have a clean filter instead of swapping the filter? I would guess that 90% of bikes that are ridden in the sand don't have filter skins.

• YZFEric

Posted February 06, 2006 - 09:25 PM

i have a yz250f thats gone to mexico for 1 week every year and i have never had a problem with sand in engine. it wouldnt run to well with scratches on the piston. just remember not to buy someone else's problem!

• harjp1959

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:02 PM

If the bike runs fine, then it is fine. Like the posts above suggest, if sand got IN the engine, you'd know it because it wouldn't run.

The only riding I've ever done is in the desert, so it sounds real funny to hear about worrying if sand will be a problem! The short answer is no.

:thumbsup:

• Yz4-me

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:07 PM

I do believe 03 was the first year for WR electric start

• DRpuckheadZ

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:10 PM

ask the seller, why they are selling it. then test ride it

• Powderhound

Posted February 06, 2006 - 11:31 PM

I have ridden a few hundred miles in the sand dunes and never used a filter skin once. Why do you think that one is needed? Trail dust has finer particles that would pass easier than dune sand. The issues that people have with riding in the dunes is over rated. My normal trail riding wears on the bike way more than a trip to the dunes. Keep the filter and oil clean and your in good shape.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

new rider, and tall and big by jmac153

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 19 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Wiki
Shane Watts Video Riding Tip: Compression Hop Launch Technique - last post by Shane Watts

Shane Watts Video Riding Tip: Compression Hop Launch Technique

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Stoppies - Off-Road Riding Tip from DirtWise - last post by Shane Watts

Stoppies - Off-Road Riding Tip from DirtWise

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki

• 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.