Two Plug Oil Change Method

14 replies to this topic
  • snakesausage

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Alright I did it… I only drained the two plugs, one in the oil tank and the other large one in the crankcase along with the oil that came out of the filter cavity to change my oil .

I then changed the filter and refilled back to the full line, which took 1.08 quarts. The manual states that an oil change should take 1.16 quarts for an oil change with filter replacement. This means that you will leave about 6% more old oil in during a two plug change vs. a four plug change.

I for one will be doing the two plug change from now on - and go with it.

As a sanity check:
Before I drained the oil I first topped it off with oil to be exactly on the full line of the dipstick, and then I precisely (as possible) measured the oil that I removed from the bike. I measured that I removed about 1.04 quarts plus what ever is still in the Utah Sport Cycle bash plate (0.04 quart?). Actually, I measured 1 quart and three tablespoons LOL… now I have to clean up the kitchen utensils before I go to bed tonight so my wife will not find out. :applause:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:36 PM

That is what I have been doing as well. Every now and then if I have lots of time and am bored I do them all. I figure what the heck......Nice to know the exact numbers though, thanks.

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:51 PM

There is 2 plugs at the bottom of the motor, and the 1 in the frame. It is piss easy to do.
There is different galleys in the engine, why not drain as much as you can (one extra bolt won't hurt!) so you don't contaminate new oil?

that .08quart is about 2 good shot glasses full, so take away what you have on the bashplate, you are pretty close.

• snakesausage

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:00 PM

To get the 2 shot glasses of oil out I would have to drain the engine oil hose on the side of the crank case, the oil strainer, and the small drain plug on the crank case. This would require me to remove the bash plate which is a pain in the arse. I would rather change the oil more often than take off that :applause: bash plate.

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:02 PM

what, 3 bolts for the bash plate???
I get your point though!

• snakesausage

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Five bolts to remove the bash plate actually, and two of those are the frame clamps that have a squashed nut as a locknut. Everytime you remove those bolts you have to fight them and it "buggers" the threads a little more due to the friction. A stock skid plate full oil change may be worth it but with the Utah Sport Cycle is is not.

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Even my B&B only has 3! Easy to take off, great mounting too.
I still would take it off, it is a great time to clean all the grease and crap from aroung the lower frame, sprocket and the bashplate it self.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I have the time/ambition sometimes I dont. I still bet my bike is kept up better than 90% of the bikes out there. Alot of guys dont care for their bikes the way alot of us TT'ers do. :applause:

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:19 AM

Life is WAAAAAAAY too short to worry about two shot glasses of hardly dirty oil. I change my oil so frequently that leaving 6% of hardly used oil in the bike is an irrelevent thing to worry about.

Prioritize man.

• BIGMatt

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:20 AM

If you were to really drain all the oil from the hoses and hard lines on the outside of the motor, then the next time you start the bike there will be zero oil pressure untill those hoses fill up again. That could take a few seconds, not to mention the time it will take to re-fill the filter cavity with oil. It could be close to 10 seconds or more without any oil pressure. That is a long time, especially when the engine is cold.
Id just go with the regular 3 bolt chage. Drain the oil from the frame, from the sump, and from the filter cavity (if changing the filter)
Thats my 2cents.

• Matty05

Posted January 05, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Even my B&B only has 3! Easy to take off, great mounting too.
I still would take it off, it is a great time to clean all the grease and crap from aroung the lower frame, sprocket and the bashplate it self.

Sorry, 5 bolts...........

• Matty05

Posted January 05, 2006 - 02:51 PM

If you were to really drain all the oil from the hoses and hard lines on the outside of the motor, then the next time you start the bike there will be zero oil pressure untill those hoses fill up again. That could take a few seconds, not to mention the time it will take to re-fill the filter cavity with oil. It could be close to 10 seconds or more without any oil pressure. That is a long time, especially when the engine is cold.
Id just go with the regular 3 bolt chage. Drain the oil from the frame, from the sump, and from the filter cavity (if changing the filter)
Thats my 2cents.

Are you worried every time you start your bike? :bonk:
3 bolt change and new filter every time. :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:34 PM

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I have the time/ambition sometimes I dont. I still bet my bike is kept up better than 90% of the bikes out there. Alot of guys dont care for their bikes the way alot of us TT'ers do. :applause:

we are supposed to change the oil?

:bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p

• Matty05

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:34 PM

WR not XR!

• moach1

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:15 PM

we are supposed to change the oil?

:bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p

lmao :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.