Best Bike to replace WR450?

4 replies to this topic
  • Poway Rider

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I've got my fully decked out WR450 for sale. It's been a great bike, but it's too heavy to keep up with my friends in the desert (mainly Ocotillo Wells) who ride CRF450's and the new KX450F. I love the electric start on my WR450, speed and hill climbing ability, but do not enjoy it on the very technical rides (tight turns, etc).

I'm thinking about the CRF450, KX450 and new YZ450F. I would really appreciate any insight on trade-offs for dessert (not track riding). I want a bike that rips, is reliable, easy to start and above all - fun to ride.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:36 PM

From what I've heard from other TT'rs who own one, the YZ450 is all of that. It should be no less reliable than in past years, which puts it ahead of the CRF's of recent times, it starts easy, has a power curve that is a mirror of the CRF's and bumps into the 50hp range, and has a 5 speed as opposed to the 4 in the KXF. 4 speeds are OK in the desert (I run mine all the time) but it would be nice to have another one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Stick to yamaha, you can't go wrong. You already know about maintenance, reliability and such.

Have a look at the KTM's, you guy's in the USA have a great range to choose from, and they are every bit reliable as the Yamaha's, but lighter.

My next bike how ever:http://www.aprilia.c...lo.phtml?id=96#

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I am going through the same process. I am pretty sure I am trading in the WR for the YZ. I am just trying to figure out how many of my aftermarket parts I can switch over, like my GYT-R pipe, handlebars, ASV levers, and a few others. I love the looks of the 06 YZ's, I think I need one.

• sjwr450

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:22 PM

Man I love my Wr for the desert.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.