random useless oil change ???

21 replies to this topic
  • miguelitro

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:03 PM

If you were to drain the oil top and bottom and then turn the motor over and pump all the oil out you would then have to prime the oil pump like you must do after a complete tear down right?
Ahh the things we think of after a couple beers in the garage...
Mike

• oldturtle

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:24 PM

I have seen guys lean their XRs way over to get every last bit of old oil out that they can. Problem with this is that the depression for cam bearings is designed to hold oil so that every cold start will have a good supply of cam bearing oil. Leaning bike over or turning upside down to drain defeats purpose of this good design. :applause:

• miguelitro

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I agree, effort better spent elsewhere, but my origonal question stands...prime or not to prime???
dont think i'll guinea pig this one though
Mike

• adam574

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:05 PM

the better question is what kind of beer are you drinking that would make you think of this.. i need some of that brain juice you are drinking

• miguelitro

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:10 PM

the better question is what kind of beer are you drinking that would make you think of this.. i need some of that brain juice you are drinking

nothing special jsut tall cans of TKT with lime, outta the garage now though go longhorns!
but lets not let this get off topic :bonk: :cry: :applause:
and still the question stands....

• TimBrp

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:36 AM

I'd be curious to see what everyone thinks also...hmmm...makes sense. I'll admit I've leaned the bike way over on the kickstand. There's alot of dirty oil left in there. I kick the bike about twenty times after an oil change prior to start up. Would that be the same as priming it?

• miguelitro

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I think the manual calls for the bike to be on the side stand for oil changes...
I'm still wondering, i wont be able to change my oil in peace today without knowin.
mike

• TimBrp

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:50 AM

Yeah but I lean mine almost horizontal while it's on the kickstand.

• JackAttack

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:05 AM

I have seen guys lean their XRs way over to get every last bit of old oil out that they can. Problem with this is that the depression for cam bearings is designed to hold oil so that every cold start will have a good supply of cam bearing oil. Leaning bike over or turning upside down to drain defeats purpose of this good design. :applause:

Starting the bike and warming the oil before changing will eliminate this problem.

• miguelitro

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Starting the bike and warming the oil before changing will eliminate this problem.

I sure hope everyone does this, common sense really.

I think Tim asked if he kicks it 20 times will that pime the pump? NO, when rebuilding these old tech bikes you MUST manually prime the oil pump, I think its actually more of bleeding the air deal but i might be wrong, kinda fuzzy on that recollection. Surprised honda hasnt changed that design, actually wait no i'm not...
mike
I'm gonna go change my oil right now with the bike horizontal and backwards, while pumpin the kickstarter with cold oil but I'm gonna warm the cases witha heat gun while puttin ice packs on cylinder walls and 45 psi in both tires, oh and no backfire screen in the airbox with the idle adjustment set really high to make up for other problems i might be having.
all while having a TKT tall boy with lime, hell gotta enteretain myself when taking a sickie...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:03 PM

LOL, good one miguelitro! Jack- You have to warm these bikes up to change the oil anyhow.

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:31 PM

My experience only.................the only time I ever had to prime the oil pump is after a rebuild. The pump oil is completely drained. In all the other circumstances I can thinkn of the pump retains oil in the impellers even if you turn the bike upside..down. It can't pump if it only has air so you have to prime it like an old water pump.

As far as the "pools" of oil.........just leave the bike on the stand and change the oil and filter. I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

Again just my opinon and practice. "I think we need more cow bell"

• miguelitro

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:01 PM

I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

Again just my opinon and practice. "I think we need more cow bell"[/QUOTE]

for once Solid advice on TT :applause:
a 2 qt. can o beer thats what i need :bonk:
but still if you WERE to try to pump all the oil out by turnin the motor over you theoretically could introduce air to the pump thus hindering its pumping ability... :cry:
Mike :cry:

• don87xr600

Posted January 07, 2006 - 08:05 AM

My experience only.................the only time I ever had to prime the oil pump is after a rebuild. The pump oil is completely drained. In all the other circumstances I can thinkn of the pump retains oil in the impellers even if you turn the bike upside..down. It can't pump if it only has air so you have to prime it like an old water pump.

As far as the "pools" of oil.........just leave the bike on the stand and change the oil and filter. I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

Again just my opinon and practice. "I think we need more cow bell"

I gotta have more cowbell!

• roadcam

Posted January 07, 2006 - 08:17 AM

OK, I give up ... what does " I need more cow bell " refer to ? ... :applause:

• miguelitro

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:51 AM

I allways thought it was one of those if you need to ask you'll never know kinda things but what do i know...

• Speedgeek

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:58 AM

SNL skit - http://gorillamask.n...recowbell.shtml

If you know or remember 70's rock music the skit is hysterical.

• roadcam

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:45 AM

ok, watched it ... hysterical ? ... it wasnt even funny when I was stoned :applause: ... good film clip of Buck Dharma when he still had hair, though ... :bonk:

• don87xr600

Posted January 07, 2006 - 03:55 PM

if it's not funny it means you are old.

• LVThumper

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:34 PM

LMFAO!!!!!! :applause: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p :lol: :bonk: :bonk:

I don't know how I ever missed that, but HOLY SHIZNIT THAT IS F'N HILARIOUS!! My two little boys couldn't understand why I was laughin so hard! I'm going to save that link! :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.