Best USD forks for SM XR650L conversion

14 replies to this topic
  • TREADMARKS

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Marzocchi shiver MX, Showa or revalved stock CRF 450?

• mgs781

Posted January 04, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Stock CRF forks are Showa.

Any of your choices are going to reqiure alot of work.

The stock XR stearing stem is smaller than the CRFs. You will need to make a custom stem or make bushings to use the stock XR stem in the new triples. You will also need to make new steering stops for the CRF triples.

I used stock CRF triples and made bushings to use the XR stem. This was all press fit and require hours of machincing to make the bushing correct. I welded a extension onto the XR steering stop to work with the CRF triples.

I used 45mm Marzoochi forks.

Kubiak has stated that older CR250 forks are a straight bolt on with no mods. I think that is what he runs currently. Unless you have the resources, this would be the way to go.

MGS

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 04, 2006 - 01:38 PM

Good info mgs. :applause:

Looks like I'm gonna be pretty busy. :cry:

You would think someone would make some conversion triples? :bonk:

What is everyone else using, cause I sure see alot of them? :cry:

• khelton

Posted January 04, 2006 - 02:40 PM

You see a lotta "L's" with USD forks ?

• mgs781

Posted January 04, 2006 - 03:29 PM

You see a lotta "L's" with USD forks ?

Mine is the only one I have seen.

• lhark

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Looks like you're running into the "L" model syndrome I did, when I built my '01. It was a good thing I had an XR600R for a number of years, and recognized some of the similarities between the frames, exhaust, etc.
I ended building a few things, or modifying 600 bits to work on the 650. I can't imagine that there aren't more of us out there looking for simple things, like aftermarket side panels, or even bodywork kits to re-work the look of their bikes.
As it is, the thing turned out great....I'll be posting a photo in that section one of these days.

• rmhrc630

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Looks like you're running into the "L" model syndrome I did, when I built my '01. It was a good thing I had an XR600R for a number of years, and recognized some of the similarities between the frames, exhaust, etc.
I ended building a few things, or modifying 600 bits to work on the 650. I can't imagine that there aren't more of us out there looking for simple things, like aftermarket side panels, or even bodywork kits to re-work the look of their bikes.
As it is, the thing turned out great....I'll be posting a photo in that section one of these days.

I agree

It's great fun looking at the similiarities between the 650L and 600R.

have just bought the entire left hand side engine case/starter motor etc and intend to fit them up to my 600R. They bolt right on.

Man I am going to have the only proper e start 600R going and I'm excited!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted January 05, 2006 - 04:42 PM

I picked up an '87 XR600 for grins...and thought about the same thing. I never minded kicking the '86 I had, until I got the '01 650L...
Good luck with it.

• dukeryder

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Kubiak has stated that older CR250 forks are a straight bolt on with no mods. I think that is what he runs currently. Unless you have the resources, this would be the way to go.

MGS

Any idea what years??? Pre 2000, pre 95, pre 90? Thanks

I'm seriously considering this mod.

• TREADMARKS

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:05 AM

I am not sure about the straight bolt on part as there is a huge difference in the tube diameter.

I just installed mine this weekend-Marzucci and billet applied trees. Pretty simple once you get everything off and can start taking some measurements.

Heck, I am spending more time sorting out the electrical than I spend on the USD conversion. :thumbsup:

• mgs781

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:36 AM

[quote name='TREADMARKS']I am not sure about the straight bolt on part as there is a huge difference in the tube diameter.
QUOTE]

A complete front end (triples, forks, wheel) will bolt onto the XRL from early CRs (the ones with steel frames).

MGS

• weskc35k

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:39 AM

I think Emig racing does triple trees for the USD conversion,can't remember the web site a search will get it.
Here we go www.emigracing.com and go down the left side till it reads xr/crf fork conversion or something like that.

• Mudshark

Posted March 05, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I think Emig racing does triple trees for the USD conversion,can't remember the web site a search will get it.
Here we go www.emigracing.com and go down the left side till it reads xr/crf fork conversion or something like that.

The answer to world tension! very cool. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

• weskc35k

Posted March 05, 2006 - 04:04 PM

Mate i found it through someone elses post so "SHARE THE WEALTH"

• asf

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Any info on what I can do for steering stops on a XR600r which should be identical to the XR650L. Thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.