• nothingleft

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I have the 2006 WR450 with the stock jets in it as listed here:

Main Jet = 165
Pilot Jet = 45
Pilot Air Jet = 80
Starter Jet = 65
Leak Jet = 50

I went for a ride this past weekend and she did not want to start. The bike had been in the back of the truck enduring the cold rain for 3 hours previous to the ride. I had to bump start it to get it going. So far, I have installed the TT AIS kit, PMB exhaust insert and removed the snorkel. It is still backfiring and popping like crazy. What should I do to help resolve the issues?

• racejmac

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:09 AM

make sure the ignition is not wet...

• bg10459

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:33 AM

Try adjusting the pilot screw, see if it has any effect.
What's your temp and elevation?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nothingleft

Posted January 04, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Try adjusting the pilot screw, see if it has any effect.
What's your temp and elevation?

The temp was about 55F and the elevation was 1,000 ft.

• bg10459

Posted January 04, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Sounds like you need to go bigger across the board. Start with a #70 starter jet and a #48 pilot jet. See how it works. You'll probably need a bigger main as well (maybe #170), and I'm not sure if you have an adjustable needle or not, but if so, try lowering the clip (raise the needle to richen) one groove at a time. As with all jetting changes, do one at a time so you can see what the effect is.

• tmckeown

Posted January 04, 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hi,

Also check how much your fuel screw is open.

Timo Mc

• Clifton

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:55 PM

I have the 2006 WR450 with the stock jets in it as listed here:

Main Jet = 165
Pilot Jet = 45
Pilot Air Jet = 80
Starter Jet = 65
Leak Jet = 50

I went for a ride this past weekend and she did not want to start. The bike had been in the back of the truck enduring the cold rain for 3 hours previous to the ride. I had to bump start it to get it going. So far, I have installed the TT AIS kit, PMB exhaust insert and removed the snorkel. It is still backfiring and popping like crazy. What should I do to help resolve the issues?

I bought the JD Jet Kit and installed the170 main jet with the blue needle in the #5 position and my zip-ty fuel screw is 1 3/4 turns out. Bike starts perfect NOW (didn't when I bought it) and all the popping and backfiring is gone! Last weekend I was at about the same elevation at a couple of degrees warmer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.