Teri-Flex Vs Maxxis IT Help???????????

16 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:44 AM

I posted a tread regarding the Teri Flex tire and got mixed answers , some said that is wore great and others said it sucked and only lasted one or two rides :cry: . Others said go with the Maxxis IT :applause: . Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of either and will the teri-flex even fit on my 99 WR400 stock swingarm :cry: ? Thanks guys. :bonk:

• jerryls

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Buy an IT, put it on and go riding. It's a great tire, cheap, and lasts a long time. Life's too short to torture yourself over rear tire choices. Front tire, yes, rear tire, no.

Jerry

• slipnslide

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Do you mean Teraflex?
They also make a 110-100-18 rear tire for "250 and open class bikes" according to a website that sells them [ www.motorace.com ]
If I were you I would call or email them and ask if they fit your bike. Or look in your manual.
Let us know what you find. The info on the website makes their tires sound tempting! :applause:
Slipnslide

• 625SXC

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:16 AM

I got a whole season out of my Asia made Terror Flex. Mine is still half there. I usually go through 2 tires per season if I run a Trackmaster type tire. So I have to disagree with the 2 or 3 ride stuff. Mine has wore like iron and that was on a 55 RWHP thumper that sees a decent amount of street use.

• slipnslide

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:23 AM

625 SXC-
What size did you use? How would you compare the traction your Teraflex had to other dirt tires?
Thanks

• 625SXC

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:30 AM

I have the 150 series tire which is the only size. There is NO tire I have ever used that will hook up in Ohio mud and rocks like a Terror-Flex. Also worked PERFECT in Wyoming. It hooks like a paddle tire in the sand, Goes through mud like a bulldozer and will climb hills better than a 4X4 quad. I am riding in Parker Arizona next week. Like I said mine is 1/2 gone and still works as good as most new tires. I say it's worth it to try at least one. Even if you don't like it... So your out $75.00 :applause:

• Dirtmizer

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I am a fan of the IT, mine is wearing like iron and I'm going to stud it up for the ice after riding it for two seasons on the trail although this season it didn't see a ton of use. Check out the Maxxxis SI depending on the terrain you ride, I'm going to put a couple SI's on my WR in the spring. Good Luck.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:32 PM

I have the 150 series tire which is the only size

There is actually 3 sizes. But that is now the only 'big' one. The one my buddy got was one of the smaller ones with the more normal tread pattern. Complete and total junk. One ride in the Pioneer Mountains and it was so chunked out you wouldnt believe it. I had one of the USA made big ones with the funky tread pattern. It did hook up unreal in almost anything. In fact it hooked up too well in some situations, like hill climbs when some wheel spin is nice. It didnt wear very well at all for me. Most guys that saw mine couldnt believe it only had 4 or 5 rides on it, it was thrashed. Usually those ones wore very very well. What I am getting at is I have no experience with the China made big ones, just to clear that up. What the hell, give one a try. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TARFELE

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:48 PM

I put on a rear IT just before a three day dual sport desert ride in Big Bend(Texas).Dec. 15, 2005 We did a total of about 500 miles over the three days. Only about 50 total was blacktop and the rest was rock and desert road/two track. When I got home I inspected the tires and the looked really good from a few feet away. I then went to flip the tire becasue the knobs were rounding on the top side edge. I then found that every single knob had cracks on he back side. Needless to say I did not flip the tire. A few days ago I went on a quick woods ride with the same rear tire and did about 26 miles. The tire did great and I did not throw any knobs so I am happy with it. For $40 I cannot complain. :applause:

• steve lemley

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I think Ill buy one and regardless of how it performs Ill try the IT after that. One last question? Will the big Tera-flex fit a stock 1999 WR400 swingarm?????????????? Ive got a 120 100 18 now and there looks to only by .25 inches or so on each side before it would hit the chain? Help

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:26 AM

I honestly dont know, it fits a 2004 450. I am sure someone must know.

• slipnslide

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:40 PM

I emailed Moto Race, who sells TeraFlex's, and asked if the 150 series will fit my 2000 WR400 but no answer yet. I'll let you know.
Does anyone know how wide the tire is once it's installed? :applause:
Thanx
Slipnslide :bonk:

• steve lemley

Posted January 05, 2006 - 09:21 PM

the same u.s. tire that was advertised as a 140 is now made in china and they now label it as a 150. I think its probley because of the lack of steel belts now but I could be wrong. Please let me know if they email you back with regards to it fitting or not, Im going on a huge 3 dayer in 2 weeks with an est. 200 miles or riding and I have to get a tire before I go, it will be a good test run for whatever I buy and I will post the results when I return... Thanks again guys for all the input.

• wkino

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:34 PM

the same u.s. tire that was advertised as a 140 is now made in china and they now label it as a 150. I think its probley because of the lack of steel belts now but I could be wrong. Please let me know if they email you back with regards to it fitting or not, Im going on a huge 3 dayer in 2 weeks with an est. 200 miles or riding and I have to get a tire before I go, it will be a good test run for whatever I buy and I will post the results when I return... Thanks again guys for all the input.

You guy's can still get the USA 140/80-18 Tera-Flex at this web site www.mandhtires.com I called them the other day and they do have them. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 10, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thats great I will order up a few and keep them for the next 2 years for riding! The 140 -80 /18 is awesome for durability! :applause:
The new 150/80-18 sell for around $65. The new tires are junk!

Look what one ride on the new 150 size does:

Posted Image

• postalrider

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:15 PM

did anyone mention you will need to drop 1 tooth in the front to get the beast to move ,i admit i was hooked on my flex when i 1st tried it ,but the cornering sux from the get go and after its worn a little ,it will embarrass you on a real hill .i have run s12s and 752s 756s but nothing compares (r u ready 4 this} to an old school i r c VE33 when you look at it you are going to laugh out loud ..but when you try it you will be blown away by the traction this ugly little tire puts to the ground

• Cavi

Posted January 17, 2006 - 07:27 PM

I had a Terra flex on my DRZ400s a year ago, and it was a big SOB, it said 140, but it was wider. the sides are super strong, you could ride the sucker flat, I rode mine at 8lbs. Traction seemed good, but i agree that corning was not great, also the weight sucks. I will not go back to it again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.