Wrapping exhaust on XR650R

3 replies to this topic
  • Dune7

Posted January 04, 2006 - 03:17 AM

If I wrap the exhaust headers on my 650 with Thermo-tec heat wrap, will this not cause excessive heating of the muffler? I am still running the stock pipe. I am worried that the heat will be transferred into the muffler and the side cover will take the "hit". :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted January 04, 2006 - 03:53 AM

This could be true, but who knows? I opted to have my header(s) ceramic coated inside and out and then have the canister coated just on the outside. No problems yet for me. Works and looks way better than that nasty header wrap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:04 AM

Hey i' m happy for you to try it and get back. I'm thinking about it too. Seems like a cheap hp increase{claimed}. It would also take the heat away from your leg. I guess because the muffler is bigger is does not get hot. :applause:

• Supplicate

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I have aftermarket header and pipe, and they came with a thermal coating on them, I also wrapped the header pipes in thermaltec wrap, I put one wrap of it around the pipe where it contacts the plastic (it had already melted it a bit anyway) to keep the heat from the plastic.

and for the record, I didn't notice any HP gains, but it sure was nice to keep some of that heat off my legs :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.