What should I do?

5 replies to this topic
  • jobstress

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:04 PM

My WR 400 is going into its sixith season. What maintenance should I do besides the obvious oil and filter. Cables? Valves? Suspension? Bearings? Nothing is leaking bike runs and rides great I just want to prevent problems as things maybe wearing out.

Thanks Jobstress

• CycleWriter

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:41 AM

My WR 400 is going into its sixith season. What maintenance should I do besides the obvious oil and filter. Cables? Valves? Suspension? Bearings? Nothing is leaking bike runs and rides great I just want to prevent problems as things maybe wearing out.

More important than its age is the number of hours on it and how it's been ridden. Assuming it has an average number of hours on it I would at least be looking at a freshening of the top end including head reconditioning and cam chain, new wheel bearings, new swingarm pivot and linkage bearings, all new cables, and new stearing stem bearings. While the engine is apart you should have the crank and rod checked. Other things to check are clutch condition including the basket, airbox boot and carb intake seals (rubber can get hard and brittle with age), replace fork oil, have the rear shock serviced, and generally check over the bike for any signs of wear or fatigue.

While the bike may be running fine right now, and the Yamaha's reliability make it seem bulletproof, there are service limits to some parts that should not be ignored. The biggest problem with many four stroke parts is that there are only two states of condition: working and broken. There's often no in between to warn you of an impending failure. Waiting until something breaks will likely cost well more than an overhaul done in a timely fashion. On a bike that is already 7 years old, I wouldn't take any chances.

• jobstress

Posted January 04, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Cyclewriter that was just what I was looking for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jobstress

Posted January 05, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Does anyone else have suggestions. How much am I looking at? I am not super knowledgeable and will most likely have a shop do the work.

• bg10459

Posted January 05, 2006 - 05:26 PM

I'm not sure I would go to the extent that rick suggests unless you're competitive with it. I would check the valves, grease all your bearings and linkages, and do all the other inspections he recommends, but a complete tear down of the engine and a new top end would be pretty expensive, especially if you're having someone else do it.
On a bike that is already 7 years old, I wouldn't put too much money into it.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'm not sure I would go to the extent that rick suggests unless you're competitive with it. I would check the valves, grease all your bearings and linkages, and do all the other inspections he recommends, but a complete tear down of the engine and a new top end would be pretty expensive, especially if you're having someone else do it.
On a bike that is already 7 years old, I wouldn't put too much money into it.

I agree......... my 99' has been very well maintained over the years, I have no blow by, the oil and filter look clean every time. I have gone through and replaced or lubed each and every bearing atleast twice now. I would not hesitate to take it out tomorrow on a 100 mile loop in the moutains :applause:

I think tearing down the engine is a little extreme unless you plan on depending on it for competition :bonk:

Just my 2 cents

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.