Painting aluminum wheels

11 replies to this topic
  • david857

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Rustoleum is suppose to have some great aluminum spray paint and I was just wondering if anybody had every tried to primer, paint, and clear coat a rim. Figured there was a fifty fifty chance it would stick and wanted to see if anybody was as crazy as me to try it.

• GixRider

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:18 PM

I've painted the aluminum rims on my street bike without issue using automotive base/clear paint. You could do it but I don't think it would hold up well to dirt/rocks. Stick with anodizing or maybe try powder coating.

• bg10459

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:59 PM

I think, from my A&P mechanic days, that you need to use the proper primer (zinc chromate?). but that was a long time ago. Technology has probably changed. :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted January 03, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Any paint, powdercoat or anodizing will look bad on a rim in no time if you ride mx or rocky trails. Unless your bike is a showroom one and and not a dirtbike you actually ride.
As much as I love black rims I ordered new silver ones because I know how they look already after a tire change.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:50 AM

Blue,did you get your bike yet?Black rims seem to hold up OK for me,yes you have to be careful when changing tires but it's not to bad!

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:58 AM

Blue,did you get your bike yet?Black rims seem to hold up OK for me,yes you have to be careful when changing tires but it's not to bad!

Yep, just some gaffer tape on the levers so not metal on metal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for asking, CRFT. The blue bike should be at the dealer next week. To make it difficult, the yellow one has shipped from USA yesterday and should be here end this month. I know there are not too many of the SE bikes around here, shall I wait for it or take the blue? :bonk:
And yes, I know how good the black rims look on a yellow bike, I've seen them somewhere... :applause:

• CRFThumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for asking, CRFT. The blue bike should be at the dealer next week. To make it difficult, the yellow one has shipped from USA yesterday and should be here end this month. I know there are not too many of the SE bikes around here, shall I wait for it or take the blue? :bonk:
And yes, I know how good the black rims look on a yellow bike, I've seen them somewhere... :applause:

HUMMMMMMMMM,let me think.........................YELLOW!(but i may be a little predigest!!!)

• SureBlue

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yep, just some gaffer tape on the levers so not metal on metal.

We call it Jesus tape here since it fixes everything :applause:
Problem is our rocky terrain eats up the rims real quick. Painting rims is definitely a no-no. But I understand the issue was how to get paint to stick on rims, that is not a problem with correct priming.

• SureBlue

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:23 PM

HUMMMMMMMMM,let me think.........................YELLOW!(but i may be a little predigest!!!)

Well that was not too hard to guess :applause:
I want it too, old school you know. And the fact it will probably be the only one here kinda gets me excited. The broker who ordered it has paid for it already and said he will get it sold elsewhere if I don't want it. Heck I DO want it. Hey, does anybody know how many of them will be produced? I read somewhere that the 250F's were only 100, whatabout the 450?

• CRFThumper

Posted January 04, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I think I read 500 somewhere!But I'm really not sure.I also thought they were only to be released in the USA.I don't know but i REALLY like mine!!!! :applause:

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 10:44 PM

We call it Jesus tape here since it fixes everything :cry:
Problem is our rocky terrain eats up the rims real quick. Painting rims is definitely a no-no. But I understand the issue was how to get paint to stick on rims, that is not a problem with correct priming.

Definately agree 110%, I wouldn't paint them. That's just me. They would look like shit after 1st ride!
Just saying "Jesus tape" :bonk: on the leavers doesn't scratch rims! :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.