IMS Tank Is Leaking

5 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:44 PM

My IMS fuel tank is leaking at the gas cap. I've replaced it a couple of times and the new gas cap solves the problem for a little while, but eventually gas starts leaking out after a few fill ups. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any fixes besides replacing the gas cap every few rides?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I didn't think the Rockies would be so flat!

"Yeah, that John Denvers full of shit man." Sorry I dont have any advice on your tank, but I love that line in Dumb and Dumber.

• bcs

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:17 AM

I think the rubber gasket inside the gas cap is separate from the cap, so you should be able to replace the gasket only.
What is the condition of the tank plastic, especially the neck and the threads? We've seen a lot of pictures on here of really crappy workmanship in the IMS molding process. Big bubbles, holes, pockets, etc. If the neck and threads have those sorts of defects, I don't think you'll ever get it to seal.
Try calling IMS and asking their people.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yaman

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Try to call IMS they should work with you.

• Seabass

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM

I've checked the threads on the filler neck and they look OK. I bought a couple of new caps today and I'll see how they do this weekend. The old cap feels like it's cross threaded but that seems like a hard thing to do with plastic. Oh well

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 08:35 PM

That is sad, the IMS tanks look so good. Pick up a copy of dirtbike and all the offroad riders are using IMS tanks! Russ Pearson, Destry Abbott, Shane Watts, Glen Kearney......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.