Valves for an 01 426...Ti or SS?

3 replies to this topic
  • Birdie426

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:44 PM

My center intake valve has started to tighten up after every hundred miles or so, so I pulled the head, and, sure enough, it's starting to mushroom. The other four valves all look fine and have not changed clearence in the 2000 miles I've put onthe bike.

As I'm the third owner, though,and have no idea of the rest of the bike's true history, I figure I'll do all of 'em (along with a new crank and crank bearings, but that's another story).

What's the general feeling on replacement valves...stock Ti valves with new guides, retainers seals and springs; Black Diamond with their springs, factory guides, retainers and seals; some other combination? It looks like the lower cost of the BD valves is just aout offset by the higher cost of their springs, so dollars-wise, it looks like a wash.

Opinions? Experience? I'm looking for rock solid durability, not absolute performance (though the bike does have hot cams and a 13.5:1 piston).

Thanks for any insight,

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:46 PM

SS for durability and reliability.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426boy

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:42 PM

ss without a doubt u wont notice any horsepower difference and they will last a lot longer

• Matty05

Posted January 03, 2006 - 06:56 PM

SS - the hardcoating is thicker than on Ti.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.