buying used 03 or 05

6 replies to this topic
  • too much dust

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:38 PM

my friend is looking at buying a 05 honda used as his first bike.i have a 05 crf450r as well but i know that yamahas are good as well.he doesnt want to buy new and hondas were junk before 05 so leaves the older yamies.
my buddy is 6 foot 7 and weighs 245 so a 250f isnt going to work.how much should a 03 or 04 cost and is there a big difference between the two?also yamaha has a four speed with a tall first. will that be hard for a beginner and should he stick to getting a 5 speed honda?

• Ga426owner

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:02 PM

my friend is looking at buying a 05 honda used as his first bike.i have a 05 crf450r as well but i know that yamahas are good as well.he doesnt want to buy new and hondas were junk before 05 so leaves the older yamies.
my buddy is 6 foot 7 and weighs 245 so a 250f isnt going to work.how much should a 03 or 04 cost and is there a big difference between the two?also yamaha has a four speed with a tall first. will that be hard for a beginner and should he stick to getting a 5 speed honda?

I would not say that Honda CRF's were junk before 05...that is a little harsh... :bonk:
I would look to see if any used 05-06 CRFs are avail...I would suggest a 04-05 YZF...the 03 needed refinement unless you luv riding a top fuel dragster...it does wear you out quicker
I like my 4 speed but a 5 speed will not make it any harder to ride...
Prices...it is a buyers market your friend should be able to negotiate easily on any of em... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:05 PM

It's a misconception to say that the first gear in a YZ450 is all that tall. The first gearratio is in fact slightly lower than that of a YZ426, and fourth falls a little more than halfway up between the 426's 4th and 5th, so that when the two bikes are geared overall for the same low gear, there is only about a 4 mph difference in the top speeds of the two. It is true that MX bikes in general all have fairly high low gears and close ratio transmissions, though.

A Honda will probably be a mellower sort of ride for a beginner, but not by too much. As far as early YZF's are concerned, the '04 has better suspension, and a little gentler nature than an unaltered '03, which can be quite a handful for the uninitiated. The simple addition of a heavier flywheel and an updated clutch will take care of the bulk of the problem though. Any 450 is going to have an imposing level of juice on tap for a new rider. The '05 YZ450 never had the sales appeal the CRF did, and so sells for less used. They have an even smoother power delivery and better suspension than the '04 does, and are every bit as reliable. Could be worth a look.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • too much dust

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:14 PM

I would not say that Honda CRF's were junk before 05...that is a little harsh... :bonk:
I would look to see if any used 05-06 CRFs are avail...I would suggest a 04-05 YZF...the 03 needed refinement unless you luv riding a top fuel dragster...it does wear you out quicker
I like my 4 speed but a 5 speed will not make it any harder to ride...
Prices...it is a buyers market your friend should be able to negotiate easily on any of em... :applause:

you may be right about me being harsh but i had a 03 before my 05 and the differences are very noticable. my 03 pushed like a bull dozer in the turns.sounds like 04 or 05 is the way to go with the yamies then thanks

• riderman329

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:21 PM

i have a 04 yz450f for sale 3800 pm me for more!

• new2blue450

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:24 PM

i bought my 04 here in cali for 3600, about a month ago. it my first bike, and i am 6'6 220...and it huals ass, but i did put the pro taper 3 clamp and bars (windham/reed) on it because of my height....he should also on what ever he gets.

• bmeador

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Ive got a nice 2003 yz 450 i would sell for 2500.00. if your interested pm me and i can e-mail u some pic's.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.