How hard is it to replace rear shock?

15 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Is replacing the rear shock something I can do without special tools? Or, am I better off having the dealer or a mechanic type do it?

• joshb

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:21 PM

You don't need any tools assuming your talking about replacing the shock spring... Just loosen the lock rings, pull the subframe. Undo the bottom and top bolts holding it to the frame and linkage. The two pieces at the bottom of the shock separate and your spring comes out the bottom.

• dbailey223

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Cool, thanks for the quick response. Gonna order a racetech rear shock spring tonight! I'm 200 lbs, so I need to get the stock one off to improve my riding through the whoops.

• markyjoe

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:17 PM

I did it without removing the subframe. I just took the tension off the spring, disconnected the shock from the linkage, removed the bottom spring plates, pulled out the spring and inserted the new one. You'll have to cycle the swingarm up and down until you get the right angle to slip the spring out. Overall a very simple process.

• snowboardstylee

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hey bro. Im like 235 and i knwo that my yz 450 was sprung for like a 175 # rider.
stock. so i did some research online shock spring rate is about 5.5 i went 5.8 eibach. it was about 15 bucks cheaper than the race tech. and do yourself a favor dont just change the spring. get it re valved . the gold valve kit from race tech was like 150.
its worth it. my bike rides sooooooo much better now that i did the valve kit and the spring. like night and day. also be aware that your shock is nitrogen charged.
dont put (air) in it .

• Matty05

Posted January 03, 2006 - 06:55 PM

I did it without removing the subframe. I just took the tension off the spring, disconnected the shock from the linkage, removed the bottom spring plates, pulled out the spring and inserted the new one. You'll have to cycle the swingarm up and down until you get the right angle to slip the spring out. Overall a very simple process.

This sounds like a good way to do it!

I remove the whole shock, but I don't remove the subframe either. That just turns a simple job into a nightmare! I undo the top of the subframe and you can get enough room to pull the shock out. I have read here that some people just undo the bottom of the subframe and go that way.

• Bamster

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Sounds like nothing back there has been apart for while.
It might be a good idea take apart your linkage and grease it.
Don't forget the Swing arm bearings too.

• billygoat

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:38 PM

With modern bikes, you can have great access to the shock in minutes. You have to remove the seat, muffler and tank, then the subframe will fold up to the handlebars. Bungy the subframe up out of the way and start pulling the shock straight out. Sounds like a lot, but it really only takes about 7-8 bolts to do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:17 PM

Snowboardstyle,

I think I read last week here that doing the shock valve work is best suited for those with the right tools and experience with shocks, nitrogen, etc. Was that relating to something else?

• dbailey223

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:35 PM

One other thing--for the Racetech shock spring, their site says to use the 5.8 kg spring, 63.4 X 60.6 X 270. When I go to the TT store, the same 5.8 kg eibach spring says 63.1 X 60.6 X 270. Does the 63.4 compared to 63.1 make any difference?

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 04:49 AM

Does the 63.4 compared to 63.1 make any difference?

Yes, 0.3! :applause:
I got eibach spring, they make great springs. Probably better than racetech.

• dbailey223

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Matty, I was aware of the 0.3, hence my post :applause: To clarify my question, is the TT store selling a lesser Eibach spring than the racetech one?

• dbailey223

Posted January 04, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Anybody know if the 0.3 makes a difference?

• Matty05

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:45 PM

NO! It doesn't make a difference.

• dbailey223

Posted January 04, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Sweet--thanks

• dbailey223

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:16 PM

Got the spring yesterday, installing it tomorrow, will post if I lose any fingers in the process!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.