99 WR 400-430kit, cylinder casting just cracked

6 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Any one run into this problem? I had my cylinder sleeve pressed out and the cylinder bored for the new 430 sleeve. There's not a lot of meat left but I didn't think it would be a problem. Looks like the cylinder cracked yesterday.

I was riding and pulled into a gas station to fill up. The top end seemed to be a bit noisier than usual. I shut down and filled the tank. Walking back towards the bike I noticed a bit of glycol in the snow under the bike. I fired it up and glycol was spraying out at the rear of the cylinder. I thought I popped the head gasket and I was only a minute away so I rode home and took a better look. The cylinder was dry just below the head gasket, the coolant appeared to be leaking out ½ way down the back of the cylinder. After a minute of running, oil started seeping out with the coolant. It was hard to see exactly where it was leaking from since it was a tight spot and was steaming as it leaked out, so I snapped a couple of pics and blew them up on the computer. Definitely looks like a crack. You can see a problem at the lower left corner of the picture.

I’m wondering if the cold affected the thinner cylinder or if it is a common problem in normal conditions. The kits been it for a year but this is the first extreme cold riding I’ve done since I installed it. The cold didn’t affect the stock barrel, I’ve been riding all winter since it was new in 99.

• Bamster

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:38 AM

How did you get that thing started?
Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted January 03, 2006 - 10:37 AM

That's a pretty common sight after a windy night here. As long as the airbox and exhaust pipe aren't plugged with snow I just dust it off and it'll start.
That particular time it has been sitting for a couple of months so I brought it into the special vehicle warming bay to thaw out a bit.
We had a blow on the weekend and it was buried again. I shovelled it out and it fired right up, -31C, slows down flat rate maintenance times though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Frostbite
what is your opinion on it?
how long before leaving 'the warming bay' did you leave it? had it 'thawed' completely?
how long had you been riding prior to this happening?
do you think that it is kit related or -31c related? or a combination of both.
I actually feel sorry for that bike, like a sheepdog in winter.
do you think it is just a case of replacing the barrel,(and piston and rings i assume) or more?
hope you get it sorted.
good luck.

• Frostbite

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:21 AM

Frostbite
what is your opinion on it?
how long before leaving 'the warming bay' did you leave it? had it 'thawed' completely?
how long had you been riding prior to this happening?
do you think that it is kit related or -31c related? or a combination of both.
I actually feel sorry for that bike, like a sheepdog in winter.
do you think it is just a case of replacing the barrel,(and piston and rings i assume) or more?
hope you get it sorted.
good luck.

I called the company that resleeved my barrel and they said they haven’t seen one crack in 16 years. The first thing they mentioned was a freezeup, but I use -52 rated premix and it definitely didn’t freeze. They also mentioned that if it was caused by differential expansion between the 2 metals, the crack would’ve been at the inside of the water jacket against the sleeve, not on the outside. In this pic you can see that the metal at the sleeve is very thin. I’m thinking that it may have cracked here first and then quickly spread to the outside. One thing that makes me think the crack spread quickly is for the first few minutes only coolant leaked out, actually sprayed out under pressure. I shut down for a few minutes and when I restarted oil started oozing out along with the coolant. This makes me think that the crack was only in a water jacket at first and then spread across an oil passage. Maybe it started against the sleeve and then spread fast through the aluminum.
I’ve been winter riding the bike since it was new in 99, and winter here is 8 months, although we hit -30’s only 2 months of that. The bike is not kept in heated storage and I ride a couple of times a week with no problems.
I installed the 430 kit last winter but this is the first time it’s seen -30’s. I’m leaning towards the extreme expansion and contraction causing the crack since it’s never happened to the manufacturer before. The cylinder casing is much thinner due to reboring for the oversized sleeve. Maybe there’s not enough meat left to handle the stress.
I’m going to pull the barrel on the weekend to confirm the damage. I already ordered a head and base gasket in case it can be welded. I won’t be replacing the piston and rings since they are fairly new and the sleeve shouldn’t be damaged.
If the cylinder is beyond welding I’ll be ordering an new stock barrel and piston. Anybody interested in a 430 sleeve and piston?

• Bamster

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:22 AM

Your lucky, mine is a bitch to start in the cold.

• bluebike1999

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:05 AM

yes i am interested in a 430 kit since i read you had one BUT NOT THAT ONE.
our temps way down here in Tasmania (under the big island in oz) are nowhere near as extreme as yours and i really like my 400 ( really just cant afford a 450).
keep us informed of your progress.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.