Best XR 650R clutch replacement options?

16 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:18 AM

I'm swapping out the stock clutch / springs / basket, and had a few questions. First, what is the best way to go for clutch plates in terms of quality and longevity (oem or aftermarket)? Second, what is the best replacement for the weak stock clutch springs (If I remember correctly, HRC clutch springs come with the power up kit or can be ordered individually)? And lastly, I looked back through old posts and saw several references to adding a metal disk to the stack; I thought I remembered that the stock XR650R clutch was 6 friction + 6 steel + 1 friction (rounded), so instead would you have 7 friction and 7 steel then, or? Thanks.

• TimBrp

Posted January 03, 2006 - 04:08 AM

I've done the clutch twice in my xr and the best setup for me is:

Barnett dirt digger kit(ditch their springs though and use em' for spares)
XR's Only HD springs
Hinson clutch basket

Mine is smoove as buttah now!

• Supplicate

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:38 AM

I looked back through old posts and saw several references to adding a metal disk to the stack

http://xr650r.us/clutch/

Question #2 is more of a performance and durability add on. The first mention that I know of was from the gurus at Summers Racing. They have a long explanation, so check it out. Here's my short one. The oem clutch pack wears to a overall thickness that is
less than what the clutch basket allows for. The remarkably easy fix is to simply to add another metal plate (22321-KA4-710).

• khelton

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Barnette is extremely strong, possibly too strong. Will probably jerk the transmission out of it before it will slip. A little bit like a light switch in that there is so little lever travel distance between no engagement and full engagement. But...it is strong...

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:55 AM

Precision Concepts race pack is a good clutch,take everything out to the basket and add 7 steel and 6 fiber OEM plates, along with new Honda springs.Very positive and a little grabby but great for the desert.

• TimBrp

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:32 AM

My barnett is not grabby at all anymore. Reason why it was before is the basket had very small grooving going on. Replaced basket, problem solved.

• Naru

Posted January 03, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Precision Concepts race pack is a good clutch,take everything out to the basket and add 7 steel and 6 fiber OEM plates, along with new Honda springs.Very positive and a little grabby but great for the desert.

Cool, thats what I remember reading. But, does that include trashing the jutter spring? I'd imagine (if thats the case) that the transmission would get torn up in the long run? Also, the stock clutch has a different fiber plate at the back of the stack next to the judder spring; so if you go with PC's setup, do you just run 6 of the normal fiber plates, or do you use 5 normal fibers + 1 of the different fiber plate?

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Everything comes out to the basket(judder, small plate, etc.)then the 7 regular steel and 6 regular fiber. Start with the steel and alternate from there.Tim, this clutch is very positive even starting with a brand new basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • khelton

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Don't know how you can give up the judder....talk about some erratic clutch work...leave the judder out and you will think you are losing the transmission

• TimBrp

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I'm sorry, and I hope I don't come across as bashing the pig pen site but I think that clutch mod is bunk. It didn't work well for me and a couple other buddies that tried also. I tried it and with every adjustment made just didn't feel right. First off, using stock plates will only allow it to fade faster...and stock honda springs...PUHLEASE! They're junk. HD springs are what you need to use, above all else. 4 weak springs on a 650cc stump puller is just ludicrous and honda knows that which is why their baja bikes run HD springs. I haven't seen a 'pro' 650R setup with an extra fiber and steel either. Erratic clutch work with that is correct. The stock baskets are junk and need to be changed. Even the slightest groove(invisible to the naked eye) will cause the bike to lunge on pavement or other hard terrain. IMO, adding the extra plates will not add to the longevity of the clutch and just makes it more grabby on take off. I can't count the number of times(with that setup) that I stalled in traffic. And we all know how embarrassing that can be with a kickstart bike...LOL.

• Naru

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Well, I have a Hinson clutch basket here and a set of XRs only HD springs on order which should help, but still not sure about the clutch plates. I have a feeling the PC stack is optimal for racing but not recommended for non-racers (as are most of the mods on Team Honda's bikes). Then again, I always try to avoid using aftermarket clutch components if possible, as stock is usually very well made.

Tim, what kind of wear are you getting on the Barnett compared to stock?

• TimBrp

Posted January 03, 2006 - 03:30 PM

2700 miles and minimal wear. I chose not to use Barnetts springs as I wanted to ride more than 30 miles without armpump killing me(they're not that bad, really). The Xr's only springs are still well within spec after the 2700 miles also. The hinson basket seems to fit the clutch pak much better.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Not much of a clutch user but my bike has over 12K miles(desert) and I'm only on the second clutch pack.This is the only set up the Honda Off-Road boys use and yeah that does not make it the only pack to use but it's been good to me.Probably depends on where you ride.

• TimBrp

Posted January 04, 2006 - 03:50 AM

Right XR4DEZ. I ride tight New England woods on the BRP at times and clutchwork is key. Mine is the right setup for ME, not neccessarily everybody.

• 1stepcloser

Posted January 04, 2006 - 07:58 AM

So wht are you using for the inner hub and pressure plate?
Stock pieces?

• TimBrp

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:25 AM

Yep, both stock.

• loy

Posted May 03, 2011 - 12:01 AM

Old thread but anyway..

I'm going to buy a new clutch. I have been looking at the Barnett-clutches. But they seems to hav two different packages? One "normal" and one "Dirt-digger". What is the difference? I wan't the strongest one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.