Whoa! Brakes don't work!

6 replies to this topic
  • DualSport650

Posted January 02, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hey TT'ers,

So today I fired up the BRP for the first time in about 5 weeks.
It's been snowing here in Bend, Oregon so the mega thumper has just been sitting in the garage while I suffer from "cabin fever."

Anyway, I get on the bike an ride off down the street. (my bike's dualsported) :bonk:

When I get to the first stop sign I go to grab the front brake lever and the brake doesn't work. The lever pulls back all the way to the handlebar and I almost T-bone a car! No front brakes! :cry:

Why in the world would that happen? It's a new rotor, new pads, etc. I inspect everything and it's all good to go. But, I did notice on my last ride about 6 weeks ago that the front brake lever needed to be pulled back a lot to get the brake to work.

It must be a lack of brake fluid, yes? But, I see no leaks and no puddle of brake fluid in the garage.

Weird.

Anyway, let me know how I should fix this. :applause:

Thanks...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:12 PM

ya might wanna bleed your breaks

Hey TT'ers,

So today I fired up the BRP for the first time in about 5 weeks.
It's been snowing here in Bend, Oregon so the mega thumper has just been sitting in the garage while I suffer from "cabin fever."

Anyway, I get on the bike an ride off down the street. (my bike's dualsported) :bonk:

When I get to the first stop sign I go to grab the front brake lever and the brake doesn't work. The lever pulls back all the way to the handlebar and I almost T-bone a car! No front brakes! :cry:

Why in the world would that happen? It's a new rotor, new pads, etc. I inspect everything and it's all good to go. But, I did notice on my last ride about 6 weeks ago that the front brake lever needed to be pulled back a lot to get the brake to work.

It must be a lack of brake fluid, yes? But, I see no leaks and no puddle of brake fluid in the garage.

Weird.

Anyway, let me know how I should fix this. :applause:

Thanks...

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:56 AM

If you DID brake work and pushed the pads out with a screwdriver all you needed to do to get them to work properly is pump the lever a few times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DualSport650

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I did the brake work about 2 months ago so it sounds like I need to bleed the brakes.

I just find it odd that the brake got so messed up so quick! :applause:

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I did the brake work about 2 months ago so it sounds like I need to bleed the brakes.

I just find it odd that the brake got so messed up so quick! :applause:

Very wierd.

• thouk

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Hello,
I have had mine out in the weather. When I went to ride it, the BRP did the same thing to me. I had to pump the brakes a number of times to get them to work again. I don't know what caused it besides the temperature extremes. Tony

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 03, 2006 - 05:47 PM

yeah, try pumpin em a few times before u do anything extensive.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.