Hot cam in a 650L?

4 replies to this topic
  • arrowhead

Posted January 02, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I have a 2005 XR650L with 500 miles on it.
Does anyone here have a hot cam installed in a 650L? Does it give enough power it justify the cost? Are you having any rocker arm wear issues? What are the pros and cons? Should I do the higher compression piston while I'm in there? Anything else? I would like to arrive at the end with almost 50HP. Thanks in advance.

• mgs781

Posted January 02, 2006 - 07:01 PM

I have a 2005 XR650L with 500 miles on it.
Does anyone here have a hot cam installed in a 650L? Does it give enough power it justify the cost? Are you having any rocker arm wear issues? What are the pros and cons? Should I do the higher compression piston while I'm in there? Anything else? I would like to arrive at the end with almost 50HP. Thanks in advance.

The hot cams changes were the motor makes power.

In stock trim (cam, bore, compression) the bike makes more power down low in the rpm range and doesn't like to be rev'd.

If you want bottom end power, do a big bore with high comp piston and pumper carb. You won't get 50 Hp but it will have more power.

If you want high end or you don't care were it makes power, do a high comp piston, hotcams, polish and port, 3 angle valve job, and pumper carb. This will make close to 50 Hp near redline, but you will lose power down low.

It really depends how you intend to use the bike.

I don't have rocker wear issues yet. My cam has been in for 2000 miles of high rpm use.

MGS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wheels up

Posted January 03, 2006 - 03:56 AM

I love my hotcam. I am currently rebuilding top end. 675 cc piston 10.5 .1. Port polish. Large header. Pumper carb.

I was thinking of going with a larger cam.

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 03, 2006 - 04:35 AM

4000 miles on a hot cam here in my L. The uncorking, big tube header and hotcam with a edelbrock pumper really helped bring out the beast in the bike. And ya gotta love that speedway sound.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 03, 2006 - 05:48 PM

ive got one but it came with it so i dont know what kind of differance it makes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.