Stashing the Tire Irons

19 replies to this topic
  • mjslim

Posted January 02, 2006 - 11:57 AM

For those of you out there who carry tire irons and tubes, where do you put this kind of bulky hardware so that it doesn't interfere with your riding? I currently have a fender pack and fanny pack for the normal smaller hand tools, levers, etc, but haven't figured out where to put the big stuff. Some friends of mine wear back packs, but I'd rather not go that route if possible. Who's got the hot setup?

• ARin

Posted January 02, 2006 - 12:20 PM

in the camelback.

• tmckeown

Posted January 02, 2006 - 12:48 PM

in the camelback.

I hope not inside your water container though :applause:

Timo Mc

• ARin

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:48 PM

i wondered why my water tasted "metallic"

• Matty05

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:00 PM

Try bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes. It will save you lugging around irons and spare tubes. When my mates race the Finke desert race here in aust, they inject some of that tyre weld stuff in the tubes too, it seams to work.

• bluebike1999

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I got these, 240 mm or about 9.5'' irons
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00397.jpg
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00398.jpg
fit just great in 'BUM' bag
fanny means something quite different here.
but still need something like tyre irons to get access to it most of time.
tyre irons would tatse funny too if kept in fanny bag here.

• gregwr450f

Posted January 03, 2006 - 12:09 AM

I use my wifes fanny pack to store my tyre levers in, but that can prove inconvient at times because she might have someone else using it, I can also put 3 spare tubes in there as well, it's like leather so it's pretty strong :applause:

• pops 56

Posted January 03, 2006 - 02:22 AM

I can put my spare tyres in my wife fanny pack.And tubes. It comes with tyre weld stuff supplied. :applause:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:20 AM

Matty05
are you saying that HD tubes prevents flats? Educate me on this.

This sounds like a solid $20 investment.

• rockieman

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Personally I have not had a flat in so long that I can't recall my last one....if I ever do....I just ride it out flat and fix it in the comforts of my garage. I would never load myself down with carrying an extra tube ....let alone irons.
:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I posted this in the general forum - Flatproofing your tires.

If it keeps my tires from going flat it should work well for normal tires.

• creeky

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:18 AM

On my XR600, I used Bridgestone HDs, Kenda 257 rear, Bridgestone ED-11 front, Monkey Grip sealant on our last Baja ride from La Paz to the border. I was the only one out of seven riders not have a flat. I'll probably regret saying this, but I can't remember my last flat tire using this setup.

• ARin

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:48 AM

for people who didnt catch it...to aussies...fanny=pus5y

Changes the meaning of a few of their posts. he he

• Matty05

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Matty05
are you saying that HD tubes prevents flats? Educate me on this.

This sounds like a solid $20 investment.

Not just heavy duty tubes, ultra heavy duty tubes. They are twice as thick!
Bridgestone make them, a few others make them too.
I have never had a flat yet using them, I have dinted my front rim in a few places so they stop pinch flats too! I am not saying that they will stop you getting flats, mousse tubes do that, but they cost big $$$.

I check my tyre pressures before every ride, natural rubber tends to leak, and tyre pressure will effect handling of your bike.

• Matty05

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:09 PM

for people who didnt catch it...to aussies...fanny=pus5y

Changes the meaning of a few of their posts. he he

:lol:That is just too funny! Oh poor Greg! :applause:

• bluebike1999

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I posted this in the general forum - Flatproofing your tires.

If it keeps my tires from going flat it should work well for normal tires.

i would have agreed with rockieman and say it never happened to me.... until not long ago. and i had to turn back 5 mins into great ride( thats what all the others said when they got back, just rubbing it in)

but the bit that frostbite added is what i have done and on the advice of my 7 y/o son. while changing a tyre he came out and said " dad you should wrap your old tube around your new one so that it wont pinch, just blow it up a little and use tape to hold it in place while you put it back in?????????..
i said "where did you hear that?" he said " it's on an mx tv dvd you bought me, didnt you know?"
so we went in, he found the section on it and voila, double thickness tubes at no extra cost.
as for fanny packs, yeah that is funny, just imagine a pack of them.......
monday tuesday wednesday........

• Matty05

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:08 PM

mxtv sucks ass! so amatuer!
I watch it all the time on Austar, I just cant help it!

• freestyle250

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I knew a guy that welded a little metal bracket and screwed it behind his headlight. he had to move the headlight forward a tad with some longer screws than stock, but it fit right in between the light and to odometer. it was a pretty sweet setup.

• bluebike1999

Posted January 03, 2006 - 10:57 PM

this was a seven year old and i'm so amatuer too.
i'm too amatuer to even have austar

• mjslim

Posted January 03, 2006 - 11:04 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. I must say I am intrigued by you Aussie mates who are able to get your wives to carry the tire irons for you in such a fashion, now that's true love! :applause: I'll be a gentlemen and refrain from asking you guys to post pics.......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.