hot start nut removal ?

8 replies to this topic
  • 450high

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:24 AM

Could someone please explain how to get the hot start nut ( carbi end ) of my wr 450 as the plastic one is buggered and i have a aliminium on the way.
Many thanks david.

• simon@vic

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:37 AM

i think they are called duck billed pliers. they are flat nosed pliers from snap-on.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Could someone please explain how to get the hot start nut ( carbi end ) of my wr 450 as the plastic one is buggered and i have a aliminium on the way.
Many thanks david.

Take the entire cable off the bike. It goes on and off at the lever end.

WhyTF do they put plastic nuts on these bikes? :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:54 AM

I usually use a pair of needle nose to get it loosened up. After that my fingers can do the rest..
Now that were talking about it, I would like to replace the cable actuated HS lever with an old school (non remote) plunger type since I never use my HS circit... It's one less thing to take off the carb..... :applause: Now that the WRs are estart with the decompression cam the HS option isn't as critical as finding TDC like they way it used to be. I haven't used my HS ONCE since I've owned my bike (one year), I've got thousands of miles on it...

What do you guys think?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted January 02, 2006 - 11:06 AM

^i never did. now i do all the time.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:03 PM

^i never did. now i do all the time.

Why do you think that happends? I can remember when my 98's valves became out of spec the HS became mandatory. Once they were adjusted the HS wasn't needed. Hmmmm :applause:

• dbailey223

Posted January 02, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Vice grips might also be the way to get out a mangled plastic nut. I gunked mine up on the first time taking it off and got the metal one.

• 450high

Posted January 03, 2006 - 01:47 AM

Thanks all for the info. Dave

• TARFELE

Posted January 03, 2006 - 06:11 AM

Speaking of nuts, My left one is abnormally, Oh, sorry different forum!

Anyway,

My hot start lever is realy stiff, I have never used it. Is it supposed to be smooth and can you pull it like a clutch lever?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.