XR350 options?

13 replies to this topic
  • Mike38

Posted January 01, 2006 - 07:41 PM

I just picked up a good condition 1985 XR350 rolling chassis. Now I need an engine. At this time I'm considering three options, and would like comments. This is just going to be a play bike. No serious trail riding or racing of any kind. This project will be on a seriously tight budget. Less then $500, I hope.

Option one: Buy one of those Chinese 200cc replica engines and retro fit it. They come with carb, electronics, every thing needed, etc. I am mechanicaly inclined, and have access to a well equipped shop for any machining required for motor mounts, etc.

Option two: Install a 1975 XL350 engine that I currently have three of. A quick look tells me that the motor will bolt right in, but I could be wrong. But, will need a carb, electronics, exhaust, etc. Cost would probably exceed option one.

Option three: Try to find a 1985 XR/XL350 engine with carb and electronics, but I'm sure this would be the most expensive option.

Anyone done any of the above?

• oregon_rider

Posted January 01, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Not to be a kill joy, but...

Option #4 - Since this was one of the "better XRs" of the era, the parts have value- I would look at parting it out on ebay and buying a complete bike with the proceeds of sale + your $500 budget.

jeff

• lhark

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:43 PM

I have an XR350 engine, but I would have to verify what year it is. Does the frame you have use an oil reservoir in it?
If it is, you are looking for a dry-sump engine, similar to the design of the XR600/650L.
The one I have is a wet-sump design, which I think is earlier, like '84.

• oldturtle

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I owned two used 85 XR350s and for their period they were great bikes. And they were dry sump, single carb models. The tranny went out on my latest XR350 and cost to get repaired was way over what entire bike was worth. From then on my dual sport bikes were new XR600 and then XR650R and never anymore problems or repairs.

• lanz

Posted January 03, 2006 - 06:10 AM

Stay away from the Chinese stuff, especially the whole bike clones. They look good but that is about it. I call them yard machines. They are good for running around the neighborhood. I would not go 5 miles into serious woods on one.

• x400r

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:07 AM

option 2 or 3

• creeky

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:33 AM

I have owned two '85 XR350s, they were great bikes for their day. Your chassis being an '85, it had the dry sump engine originally. Your best bet is to find a used '85 engine and rebuild if necessary. The earlier wet sump twin carb 350 engines ran well, but ran very hot and were prone to top-end failure due to the excess heat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygoat

Posted January 03, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Ebay has lots of old parts. I would see if the engines you have actually fit in the frame and the exhaust port clears the down tube. Then, be calculating and find the parts you need. If you can modify and exhaust to fit, that sounds like the hardest part.

• XR_RON

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:06 PM

Personally,I agree with Larz,But man let me tell you, Im in Panama,central america and this place is crawling with those chinese knock off bikes,you can buy a brand new 200 cc 4-stroke street legal xr-xl clone bike for 1250-1300$,if you have been around Hondas like most of us have,you can see the difference in the quality immediately,i guess its just the sheer numbers of them,but they are plentiful.As far as your options go,Oregon Rider said what i would say.That sounds like the most logical answer.

• XR_RON

Posted January 04, 2006 - 09:09 PM

I stand corrected,I ment to say Lanz,Please excuse me.

• MindBlower

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:52 PM

I've a nice 85 350 that I bought last year. I was going to dual sport it and keep it forever. But I'm getting worried that if it needs rebuilt, or other specific parts fail I may not be able to find the parts or willing to pay ($400 for a crank) to keep it viable. As I haven't bought the BD kit yet I'm questioning whether to put any more money into it or sell it now and get something newer with better parts future. I'd also be 90% putting around town with hopefully a few dual sport rides. So I'd kind of prefer a factory DS setup vs riding a legalized dirt bike.
It has a lot of new parts, bearings everywhere, cables, brakes,chain,sprockets,grips,renthals,seat cover and foam,I have IMS Pro pegs for it but they aren't mounted and are going to take some custom welding work to mount, stock exhaust back on with thumper racing insert, I've bought some replacement parts off ebay as they came available, kick starter, shifter shaft, couple others.
It's backfiring on decelleration so it needs some carb work. The exhaust was open when I got it and I just didn't ride it this year except a couple neighborhood street cruises so i didn't get it worked on. it's still loud to me, I think the motor is a bit loose though it runs very strong. No noises or anything, maybe I'm just paranoid about it? It doesn't feel MUCH weaker than the 96 XR600 I had. But then I've been bikeless for 8 years till this, so likely I'm just not jaded yet.
Been looking hard at those Suzuki DRZ400S or the new motord SM. Both sweet, and probably more fitting what I'd ride them.
But then I'd be perfectly satisfied with the XR if I knew it would still be running strong 5 years from now. ???????????

Anyway, doubt I'd get more than a $1000 for it whole. Could I possibly do better parting it out? If so, how much tearing down would you do? Sell the motor whole or part it out piece by piece? I understand there are large variables depending on the market and desireability of the bike.

Seems a shame to tear down a spirited beast like that though........... :applause:

• MindBlower

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:40 PM

I've a nice 85 350 that I bought last year. I was going to dual sport it and keep it forever. But I'm getting worried that if it needs rebuilt, or other specific parts fail I may not be able to find the parts or willing to pay ($400 for a crank) to keep it viable. As I haven't bought the BD kit yet I'm questioning whether to put any more money into it or sell it now and get something newer with better parts future. I'd also be 90% putting around town with hopefully a few dual sport rides. So I'd kind of prefer a factory DS setup vs riding a legalized dirt bike.
It has a lot of new parts, bearings everywhere, cables, brakes,chain,sprockets,grips,renthals,seat cover and foam,I have IMS Pro pegs for it but they aren't mounted and are going to take some custom welding work to mount, stock exhaust back on with thumper racing insert, I've bought some replacement parts off ebay as they came available, kick starter, shifter shaft, couple others.
It's backfiring on decelleration so it needs some carb work. The exhaust was open when I got it and I just didn't ride it this year except a couple neighborhood street cruises so i didn't get it worked on. it's still loud to me, I think the motor is a bit loose though it runs very strong. No noises or anything, maybe I'm just paranoid about it? It doesn't feel MUCH weaker than the 96 XR600 I had. But then I've been bikeless for 8 years till this, so likely I'm just not jaded yet.
Been looking hard at those Suzuki DRZ400S or the new motord SM. Both sweet, and probably more fitting what I'd ride them.
But then I'd be perfectly satisfied with the XR if I knew it would still be running strong 5 years from now. ???????????

Anyway, doubt I'd get more than a $1000 for it whole. Could I possibly do better parting it out? If so, how much tearing down would you do? Sell the motor whole or part it out piece by piece? I understand there are large variables depending on the market and desireability of the bike.

Seems a shame to tear down a spirited beast like that though........... :applause:

PS- THe pic is stock Honda ad pic, not mine :bonk: I stripped the ripped graphics off and sanded the plastic down.

• mrscullini

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:37 AM

if it were me, i would look for a used 350 engine. obviously try ebay but also check your local moto salvage yard. they can put out a nationwide call for parts. if the top end is bad, who cares. these are easily reworked. if the bottom end or tranny needs help this is also not to difficult, especially if you are mechanically inclined. consider a slight increase in your budget. if you have a clean, mostly original xr350, you have a gem.

• hksimpson

Posted January 16, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I had to make a similar decision about 5-years ago with my XR500 and I decided to sell it because even though I finally got the engine in check, other things started to show signs of wear and break. Even with moderate trail riding the frame will eventually break, then crack, then break. Then it will be something else and you will have as much money into it as a modern bike.

So if you are patient and can find a good donor engine (maybe a whole donor bike), then maybe, but otherwise you should consider moving on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR400 carb tuning(96-97 difference after 97) by NEODS

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400R Shinko 244 Rear Question by MarxMyth

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 - 440 kit long term longevity by XR Pilot

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Kevin's XR400 FAQ by Kev_XR

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.