2006 YZ450F Ride Report

12 replies to this topic
  • Satch0922

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:30 PM

I finally got to spend some time on an 06 YZ450F yesterday. It was DPW's bike and I put in some laps at Nocona MX.

Here is his set up:

1. Dunlop 952 front tire
2. Rejet
3. Pro Taper Windham bend bars
4. Chain and sprocket upgrades

Other than that the bike is basically stock.

1. Starting....THIS BIKE STARTS! I know there have been posts here on TT that the 06 was hard to kick and hard to get started. This bike kicks easier than my YZ250....no joke. Also...if came to life the first kick. NICE!

2. Ergos.....the bike is very comfortable. The bars DPW runs are the same ones I have used for several years so that made me feel at home right away. The tank/shroud/frame design is very comfortable and not hard on the knees like some other aluminum framed bikes......

3. Suspension....the 06 suspension is better stock than the 05 stuff even after a revalve. The forks seemed soft at first but they never bottomed and soaked up the braking bumps with ease. The rear never kicked and the bike is very stable and planted on the straights. VERY NICE!

4. Motor.....this is a do all motor. If you want to short shift it you can...it has enough torque to get your around the track and over obstacles with ease. If you want to rev it....it will rev...but get ready because it moves into hyperdrive! This motor reminds me of the KTM525 (which is a huge compliment). All it takes is the twist of the throttle to get what you want out of it. If I owned the bike I would jet it and leave it stock. It's that good.

5. Weight/Handing. I would like to dispell another myth....this bike DOES TURN!! DPW put a 952 on the front and raised the forks MAYBE a few millimeters (just barely below the caps) and of course he set the sag. The bike turns as good if not better than my YZ250. If you want to carve the inside it will do it. I did feel any push or wandering. It was very predictable and went where I wanted it to go. The bike feels a lot lighter in the air and in corners compared to previous YZ450F's. Gone is the "flying brick" syndrome! If feels almost as light as my YZ250 however it felt more planted. I was grinning from ear to ear!

Well that is about all I have. This is not a sales pitch or a purchase justifcation from me....I don't own one of the bikes. My plan though ....2007! :bonk:

DPW...thanks for letting me take it out on the track. My wife was not too happy about it though! LOL :applause:
Posted Image

• SureBlue

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for your report Satch, I put a high value on it.
You have a great friend letting you ride his new bike, hope you did not flip it like my friend did to my barely broken-in '04 450, it looked bad and the feeling of a new bike was gone...

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Thanks, Satch! Good write up. :applause: :bonk:

• Yak

Posted January 01, 2006 - 01:38 PM

Do you think that the 952 tire is as good or better than the 756?

• Satch0922

Posted January 01, 2006 - 01:43 PM

the 952 performed good...maybe not as good in the loam as a 756...but the 952 is supposed to out last the 756. The 952 is a very good tire for tracks that go from loam to hard pack

• RAMARION

Posted January 01, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Satch

this is what my good racer friend said to me, after he just bought a new bike that was not Blue..............then he rode my YZ 06 450F.............

Good Friends don't let Good Friends ride a 06 YZ 450F after they bought a new bike that's not Blue.................then he proceeded to bow down to the 450 Master......

btw his new ride is for sale and he's getting a 06 YZ 450...........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted January 01, 2006 - 03:45 PM

DPW...thanks for letting me take it out on the track. My wife was not too happy about it though! LOL :applause:

I'm glad you liked the bike. Good review!

• Satch0922

Posted January 02, 2006 - 06:09 AM

Good Friends don't let Good Friends ride a 06 YZ 450F after they bought a new bike that's not Blue....................

hahaha

• aedwards07

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:00 PM

Good review.My 06 also starts very very easy as well.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Good Friends don't let Good Friends ride a 06 YZ 450F after they bought a new bike that's not Blue.................then he proceeded to bow down to the 450 Master......

Why don't they listen?? See what happens when you loose the faith?

• Troutman

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:50 PM

Good review.My 06 also starts very very easy as well.

I also cannot believe how easy the bike starts, :cry: , especially when warm, I have yet to need the hotstart and it only needs a half kick to get her going. :applause: :bonk: :cry:

I wish my wife was this easy! :cry:

• SureBlue

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:00 PM

I wish my wife was this easy! :bonk:

Yea, tell me about it! Mine is like an old Perkins diesel, impossible to get started but once running nothing seems to shut her down. Push the stop button, throw the keys away, nothing helps. Finally try to shut down with gear on and push the brakes and lift the clutch pedal, maybe then... :applause:

• Yak

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:10 PM

2006 250F is an easy starter too. Basically just put you foot on the kickstart and let it fall. It doesn't even have to be all the way though. No more power kicks which my 426 liked.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.