Xr 500 - 600

11 replies to this topic
  • glassyjeep

Posted January 01, 2006 - 10:06 AM

Looking at a couple of mid '80's XRs. Am I asking for trouble buying a 20 year old bike? Are parts still around? Anything to be particulary aware of on these bikes? Oh, and Happy New Year!
Thanks
-glassy

• XRsteve

Posted January 01, 2006 - 10:30 AM

I don't know much about 500s. The 600 has a weak gear (2nd or 3rd) in 86-87. They are also a little harder to tune due to the dual carb setup. The kickstart decompression system has to be carefully adjusted otherwise it can kick pretty hard. And the rear drum brake is weak. I believe they are also about 10 lbs heavier than the 90 and newer bikes. As for parts, every year the parts get harder to find. I would stick with a 90 or newer because they didn't change much from 1991-2000.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:58 AM

Ive got an 83 XR500 a guy gave me. The dual carb thing isnt as tough as what a lot of folks say. They dont get syncronized at all so your left with jetting and that's just as straight foward as any other carb. The parts are all pretty much available and a lot of stuff bolts on from later bikes too. If you were out looking to buy, Id buy a later one since its just a better bike. But if you ran accross an older one that was dirt cheap, buy it!

That old XR Ive got will start on the second or third kick ice cold and first when warm. And its got a bad coil...the spark is so weak and tiny and red Im surprised it runs at all, but it runs pretty damn good...It'll buzz down the freeway at 70 without a problem. Ya, I put a plate on it :applause: And it gets 60 mph...

• glassyjeep

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:30 PM

Ok I goofed. This one is actually an XL. As far as cheap, I wish I could find one around at the right price. This dealer is asking $1600. That's a lot for a 20 year old bike but, they are few and far between around here. (Iowa) It probably deserves a closer look.
Posted Image

• XRsteve

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Wow, that's a clean looking bike! But $1600 is a lot for that old of a bike. Maybe you can get them to drop the price a few hundred dollars. If not, I'd keep looking for a newer bike.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 01, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Wow, that's a clean looking bike! But $1600 is a lot for that old of a bike. Maybe you can get them to drop the price a few hundred dollars. If not, I'd keep looking for a newer bike.

I agree, you should be able to get a decent mid 90's XR600 for that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyclimbr

Posted January 01, 2006 - 04:35 PM

I've a '89 XR600R that runs great. It's a old and heavy bike but then I'm an old and heavy guy.

• Bob East

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:19 AM

Hi,

I looked-up the value in the NADA website for a 1986 XR600R and it was around
$300.00...So, that's what the pros will pay one of them.

Rgds,
Bob East

• glassyjeep

Posted January 02, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Yup, I saw that too. $290. It's like the sum of the parts is worth less than if it were parted out! Sure seems to be a bunch of them in the West but slimmer pickens around the Midwest.

• targetdrone

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

I looked-up the value in the NADA website for a 1986 XR600R and it was around
$300.00...So, that's what the pros will pay one of them.

Rgds,
Bob East

Maybe, but in my world they go for around $1200 and up.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 02, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I had an 83 XL600. It was the funnest damn thing....I got into more trouble on that bike. When the motor is fresh, you can pull the front wheel up in 5th gear on the freeway and just wheelie away to your hearts desire...

That bike is worth every penny of 1000 bucks especially if its that clean.

By the way, My 83 XL was $2235 OTD in 1983. If that bike has less than 4 or 5 thousand miles on it, its worth $1600 on inflation alone.

The bike in the picture looks brand new.

• glassyjeep

Posted January 04, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Anybody have an idea what the seat height is on one of these. I'm kinda vertically challenged :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.