Excess oil comming out of head breather on 06

5 replies to this topic
  • aedwards07

Posted December 31, 2005 - 08:01 PM

There seems to be an excess amount of oil comming out of the breather of my new 06.Is this because there is too much oil in it(this is what I figured I just wanted to double check)?

Also is the oil filter the same as the 06 yz250f?

Thanks,
Austin

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Your bike has a dipstick in the reservoir, just ahead of the cylinder base. Check it.

It's a dry sump, same as always. The difference is that the tank, while it is still an isolated reservoir, and separated from the crankcase and sump itself, has been relocated into the engine assembly. So you still have the same procedure to follow in draining, refilling, and checking oil. You have to drain both the "tank", and the sump, and when you fill the engine, you must run it, shut it off, and check the level. If any additional oil is added, you need to run the engine and then check the level again.

If it is too full, what can happen is that the scavenging pump will be unable to clear the sump of all the oil that drains back from being circulated simply because there is not enough space for it in the tank. The excess will be pushed out of the reservoir through the vent tube on the right side and back to the engine. The resulting higher oil level in the sump can cause the extra oil in the breather. In an '05 or earlier, you have to have around two full quarts in the system to cause this, because there's a lot of extra room in the frame, but I'll bet there isn't nearly that much extra capacity in the '06 system.

• aedwards07

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:50 AM

Gray,
i did check the dipstick after I noticed the oil comming out and it was a little over the max line.I guess the dealer likes to waste oil.I was hopeing that it was just because there was a little extra oil in it and not something major.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:28 PM

It probably is. Just lower the level a bit to where it's at max when up to temp and see what happens. :applause:

• Dan_187

Posted April 21, 2008 - 08:56 AM

I have the same problem, so if I let the breather suck out the excess oil, am I left with the perfect amount or can it drain the oil to low levels? I know its bad but I rarely check the dipstick :thumbsup:

I always measure 1 L but it always spews oil out and oils up my stand, and does a few drips onto the ground after a hard ride.

• Michael Cahill

Posted April 21, 2008 - 05:56 PM

I have the same problem, so if I let the breather suck out the excess oil, am I left with the perfect amount or can it drain the oil to low levels? I know its bad but I rarely check the dipstick :ride:

You never check the dipstick??!! :mad:

Oil is the life bood of your engine!! you have to make sure theres enough in there or... bye bye expensive ass motor!! :thumbsup:

I personnaly check my level before every major ride, and change my oil ever couple rides.

just make it a habbit.. for your bikes sake!! :rant:

as far as the excess oil, just like grey said; its probaby just cus there was a lil extra in there, no big deal.

a lil extra is probably a lot better than not enough :lol:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.