Sound Levels

11 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 31, 2005 - 07:22 PM

I currently have a wr450 with a fmf factory 4 pipe and powerbomb header.

It is LOUD.

I put the PMB insert into it and it got a lot more quiet, but still not the stealthy off-road weapon that I would prefer.

Where in SoCal could I go to check the noise level? I'd like to know.

I am considering switching to the FMF Q2. My goal is to be as quiet as I can be and still have very good performance. Looking for a balance here...

Does anyone know of where I could find the db levels on the various pipes?

Does anyone have any experience with the Q2?

• cnr4nier

Posted December 31, 2005 - 08:17 PM

I live in No. Cal and can go to Hollister Hills (State ran ohv park) and they will sound test. I would imagine you could do the same at a State park near you. I have a wr 426 and put a FMF Q on it. Liked it with the exception it ran about 99 db on a State test, and fell apart after a year or so. I currently have a White Bros E2. Quiet but at altitude the bike doesn't run too well. Might need jetting...

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 31, 2005 - 09:07 PM

Is there a BLM ranger near you? He would do it. Me and my buddy had ours tested after a ride at a BLM riding area. My GYT-R 'open' end was 100db, with the quiet cap it was 97db. My buds White Bros E2 with the open end and a GYT-R spark arrestor(the E2 doesnt offer a spark arrestor with thier open end) was 102db, he didnt have his quiet end with him, but it is MUCH quieter, and also much less powerful, but that is what he is running now. :applause: They were tested at 24 inches and 5500 rpm if I remember correctly. He had a book that told him what RPM each bike had to be tested at.

• ETP

Posted December 31, 2005 - 09:11 PM

I currently have a wr450 with a fmf factory 4 pipe and powerbomb header.

Where in SoCal could I go to check the noise level? I'd like to know.

Does anyone have any experience with the Q2?

Go to Hungry Valley ORV Area and ask the rangers at the entrance booth to contact the "sound test" guy. He'll drive over and test your bike. If it tests at over the going rate, 96db I think, they may not let you in to ride.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:22 AM

Hungry Valley. thats a good option.

However, I hope they wouldn't restrict me from riding. I hope they give me a warning since I really plan to do something about it.

• tmckeown

Posted January 01, 2006 - 12:27 AM

Hi,

In Enduro racing max Db level is 94 Db's. So get a Silencer that Enduro races do use. I have Akrapovitch with noise killer and that is race legal

Timo Mc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygoat

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:35 AM

If you go to Hungry Valley and get tested, bring something with that you can stick in the end of the pipe for day if you don't pass. If would find a piece of plastic conduit to reduce the outlet diameter. They will retest you if make a change. At least that way you'll get to ride.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Good advice. Since they don't really check sound going in, I ask them to check it on my way out.

At least I'll get to ride.

• endurodog

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:24 PM

I have the orginal FMF Q and it has been tested several times at under 96 DB on my 03 WR450. FWIW

• WildRide

Posted January 01, 2006 - 11:29 PM

I have the orginal FMF Q and it has been tested several times at under 96 DB on my 03 WR450. FWIW

Do remember what the test numbers were?

One of the rangers at Carnegie said if you voluntarily bring your bike to the station and have it tested and fail they will only give you a warning, but if they stop you riding around and fail they with issue a citation. my sons stock YZ & ProBillet end cap w/quiet core tested @93db.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 02, 2006 - 03:45 PM

Same here on my 04'. The pipe has performed well, the rear bracket broke once and FMF stepped up and replaced it for free :applause:

I don't know much about the Q2 but my Q offers just as much performance as my WB E-Series at 101db :cry:

I think FMF has a great product in the Q series :bonk:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 02, 2006 - 05:41 PM

94db's for the Enduro.

I don't yet have the ear to listen to pipes and tell if they are too loud. However, I can definitely say the fmf factory 4 is LOUD.

I have the PMB insert in it. I just have to get it tested.

Thanks for in the info on the Q and Q2.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.