YZor Clarke Tank?

9 replies to this topic
  • Jim_Bob

Posted September 04, 2001 - 01:47 PM

G'day. What is everyones opinion about which is better. The YZ or the larger Clarke tank? What are the benefits of both and are there any drawbacks? I am thinking of replacing my old '99 tank. Thank you.

• Bill

Posted September 04, 2001 - 03:09 PM

The benefits of the YZ style tank, is the ability to move further forward on the bike. This will weight the front wheel better and allow for improved traction when turning.

If you need the extra capacity, go for the Clark, Acerbis, Ty Davis or IMS. Of not try to find a used YZ tank. I think someone out there is starting to make a stock replica tank....not sure who though.

Don't forget you'll need to change to a YZ style seat also. I think SDG is offering the lightest and least expensive.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 04, 2001 - 03:33 PM

Clarke is making the stock capacity tank in blue, yellow and ???

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Stefe9999

Posted September 04, 2001 - 03:37 PM

Originally posted by NH Kevin:
Clarke is making the stock capacity tank in blue, yellow and ???

Regarding the tank, I have the 2.11 Gal YZ tank on mine and only seem to be able to go about 25 miles before a refill. How does this compare with others?

• Guest_Spudman_*

Posted September 04, 2001 - 05:32 PM

25 miles on 2.1 gallon tank :) You are leaking gas somewhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted September 04, 2001 - 11:24 PM

i've had the clark tank a year and i love it. after a while i thought that i could improve the bike by getting a YZ tank.

a year later i'm convinced that even though the front of the tank rises up, i'm actually as far forward as i would want to be-and that's well forward!!!

perhaps someone here can tell me they try the two back-to-back and that the YZ still has a real advantage but i'm so far forward with the clark tank that my hands are next to my hips!

go for the opaque clark tank-it's brilliant!

• wayneoXCF

Posted September 05, 2001 - 02:19 AM

You should be getting twice the miles from that YZ tank.

• sirhk

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:14 AM

My bike is a YZ so I was used to riding with the stock tank. I then borrowed Ron from SoCal's stock WR tank and seat for a long run and hated the handling!! I put the stock back on and rode a weekend or two more with it and got accustomed to riding a bike that handled like it should. I then purchased the Clarke after looking at the one Ron had recently bought and put it on. Back to back riding like one weekend with the stock setup then the next with the Clarke there is very little difference. The seat seems to come up a little steeper on the tank then stock so I feel a little further back but not enough to complain about. The biggest difference is the weight. I haven't even ridden with a full tank yet but it definately handles different with Clarke tank half full. I'm going to mark a 2 gallon line and ride with that to see if it handles much differnet then stock with the same amount of fuel. I think it would be better cause the gas is carried lower on the Clarke tank. I'm happy enough with the Clarke that I leave it on all the time. When I ride the track I just put 1 gal. or so of gas in and ride. Let me know if you have any other questions about the comparison between the YZ and Clarke tank that I might be able to answer.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Taffy

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:45 AM

i measured the distance from the headstock to half way up the seats when i did the swop.

the clark/yz seat combo puts you 1 1/2" nearer the headstock but it does mean that due to the steep angle, when you stop, YOU STOP!!

did you say that you had tried the clark tank and the yz tank back to back?

i would have thought the clark has it's weight lower but you can't get as far forward can you? does that make them even?

i noticed when i rode my friends KLX300R that you could chuck the bike down on your inside leg and that your leg was straight. on the clark you have to kink your knee to keep your foot in by the front wheel.

anyone else spot it? can you lay the yz tank bikes down on your leg with it straight and down by the front wheel?

ever seen a yam 400 rider with that old insde foot down near the wheel spindle?

i've mentioned it before and i don't know why nobody else, who perhaps has ridden countless machines; hasn't noticed the same.

a coupla days ago i made the point (i've noticed it for some time) that the yamaha 400 series rear ends pogo into corners a lot more than other bikes.

is it the powerful rear brake, is it the riding position?

i put up here a year ago that i would like to see a hybrid tank that was clark bottom half and YZ top half. i think the lads missed a great opportunity when they got clark to make a straight replica (trusting that that is exactly what it is).

my thoughts

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited September 05, 2001).]

• sirhk

Posted September 05, 2001 - 07:51 AM

I havn't litterally ridden Back to back, it was more like one weekend on my stock YZ set up, the next on the WR Seat and Tank that I borrowed, next weekend stock setup again, then the following weekend on my new Clarke. To me the Clarke didn't want to turn as easy as the YZ tank but then again that was probably with a little more gas then I ever could fit in the stock tank. Actually if you want to get picky, I noticed that it turned right fine but turning left with the Clarke was differnet, how? It's hard to explain other then seat of the pants experience.
As for putting the foot foward, my riding style doesn't have my foot straight forward it's more out to the side and foward. I do know what you're talking about though and would say that the leg position would be the same on the Clarke and stock YZ because they are REALLY close to the same width. The Clarke does buldge out a little when filled more then the YZ tank though.
I've definately noticed my rear tired hopping going into a corner with braking bumps. I've got my sag set right but need to lower my forks a little more in the clamps. If I set the clickers where they need to be for the jumps on the track the rear does hop.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.