Going 4 strokes (YZ250 to YZ450F)

1 reply to this topic
  • YamahaYZ25098

Posted December 31, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Hi over there, just welcoming 2006 with a bike change. I'm changing my 1998 YZ250 to ride a brand new 2006 YZ450F. If you have suggestions or hints on leaving 2 to 4 strokes, please reply - for now what I have is never to hit the rear brake without clutch in cause thumpers stall easily, and never turn the acel off when jumping as the motor drags the nose down much stronger than 2 strokes. Mostly MX track riding, some trail and hill climbing too. Only ridden a thumper on open trails, never on a track.
Let me read your comments, Happy New Year!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted January 02, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and back to a 2 stroke. That being said I rode the new 06 Yz450 this weekend and the change is not as dramatic as it used to be. The new thumpers have less compression braking, are lighter and more versatile.

You do have to keep the power on up the face of jumps but it is not as critical as it used to be. You will not go over the bars if you forget...it will be very easy for you you adjust to the way they jump.

In the power department you will have to get used to using the powerband. In 2002 when I went to a thumper I spent the first few months cursing the bike because I was trying to ride it like a two stroke. You do not (although you can) have to wind the 450 out. Once you find where the meat of the powerband is (on the 06 that is easy.....it's everywhere) you will learn how to shift the bike to get the most out of it on the track.

I think you will be very happy with the bike. Be patient and get used to the power you will be amazed...feels nice and smooth on the track.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.