Yz400f Help Needed!

10 replies to this topic
  • YZ400FPower

Posted December 31, 2005 - 04:32 PM

hey guys.me and my dad are getting the motor put back together but the timming chain dosent want to go around the cams! it seems like it is too short! somebody please help! is there a way to putting in the cams with the timing chain! HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

• kawirider

Posted December 31, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Have you tried going to the yamaha site and looking at some part diagrams? just a thought.

• YZ400FPower

Posted December 31, 2005 - 07:20 PM

ive got the whole book! this frickin wierd!

• yamadoggy

Posted December 31, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Don't feel bad, I had to ask how to do this once also. Put the chain on the intake sproket (Make sure to align the dot with the head suface). With the chain OFF the exhaust sproket, line up the dot w/ the surface of the head. Pull the chain up next to the sprocket (keep the dot lined up on the head) Visually look and see what tooth will line up with what tooth on the chain. Hold those two next to each other and pull the cam/sprocket out of its bore. Now pull the cam assembly back towards the intake side. Put the chain on the sproket (making sure to keep the teeth where they should be). At this point, the intake cam should be aligned with the head surface, the chain should be on the intake cam, the chain should be on the exhaust cam, and the exhaust cam is almost above the intake cam. Still follow? Good. All that is left is to roll the exhaust cam down into its bore. If you kept everything aligned, it should be perfect. Cowboyona426 was who helped me on this about a year ago, so thank him. Jason

• YZ400FPower

Posted December 31, 2005 - 08:14 PM

ive tried this but the chain is way tight.i dont know what the hell is going on!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gerry B

Posted December 31, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I'm sure you have checked but is the chain tensioner taken out? also, make sure the chain is not bound up below on the small crank sprocket.

• YZ400FPower

Posted December 31, 2005 - 11:17 PM

yes and no its not.time to do it alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll again. thanxs guys for trying to help!

• 93gt

Posted January 01, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Is the chain kinked in the bottom?

• YZ400FPower

Posted January 01, 2006 - 04:20 PM

nope its not kinked

• 93gt

Posted January 01, 2006 - 05:49 PM

I would roll the engine over slowly with the chain supported across your hand, and make sure all is straight. I wish I could help you further, but thats all I can think of.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 01, 2006 - 06:25 PM

I think you have a kink in the chain at the bottom sprocket. Take the cams out. Put tension on the chain and slowly roll the motor over and see if you get some more slack. If there is a loop of chain at the bottom rolling the motor over should relese it.

Otherwist its kinda tricky to get the chain on both cams. I put the exhaust cam in 1st with the chain on it. Then with the intake cam out of the journals and angled up at the non gear end put the chain on it. Then rotate the cam down and into the journals. After the 1st time you do it its easy after that. You just have to get the steps down.

But definately check for a loop of chain at the bottom. If you can pull the flywheel and stator so you can visialy verify that the chain is on the bottom sprocket correctly.

Oh any I asume that you have removed the cam chain tensioner. You wont get the cams installed if the tensioner is installed in the motor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.