Baja Riding on '06 WR 450

7 replies to this topic
  • kirk garber

Posted December 31, 2005 - 12:10 PM

I'm planning a ride in Baja on my WR 450 and was wondering if I will have any problems with the cheap mexican gas or will I have to carry a lot of octane booster? The bike is stock except for the free mods, jetting changes, and smog removal. Is there anyone out there with Baja riding experience on a Yamaha WR 450?

• simon@vic

Posted December 31, 2005 - 02:51 PM

i don't.
but from what I'm told. you can get high octane allot of places in the Baja.

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted December 31, 2005 - 05:16 PM

I haven't had any problems. The only thing I had a problem with was after pre running on mine I let the bike sit for a couple of weeks and the bike wouldn't start until I replace the gas.

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 02, 2006 - 10:05 AM

I live in Baja, no problems with pump gas, load up on Premium gas at the gas station (it's the red one), it's good gas, it's made by 76 or Texaco and imported by PEMEX... and it's not that cheap...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted January 02, 2006 - 11:17 AM

Like everyone said, the Pemex Premium gas is fine. The only time I use octane boost is when I buy gas in out of the way places where it comes in a gallon milk jug!! Usually this gas is a little suspect but works fine with some octane boost. One time though I got a little bit of water in my tank. Now I drain my tank when I get home.

• Husky_Forever

Posted January 02, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Mexico Premium is Arco 91 octane fuel. Baja produces there own unleaded regular but imports there premium fuel from the US. Your bike should run fine on Baja gas. Mine has 12:1 compression and runs fine. Start out with 91 from the States and run 91 from the Pemex stations where ever you can get it (red handle correct/ Green handle is 87 unleaded). Even the saw Mill has fuel in 1 gallon milk cartons and it is 91 most days.

If you run a clear fuel line and get water in your fuel, it will help you figure out when the water has passed thru. Older than snot Baja trick. Haven't seen any water in a few years though. Indepencia and Valle T will only have regular unleaded fuel (87 octane). Bring pesos, better price at the pumps than dollars. :applause: Steny

• jorge hernandez

Posted January 02, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Hola, I live in Tecate BAJA and I have a WR450 and WR250, I use that "cheap" mexican gasoline, be prepare, because you are going to pay more for gas down here, especially when you are in the middle of no where, but you are going to be glad to find gas to keep going.
You are welcome to Mexico, and have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :bonk: :cry:
Jorge.

• Seabass

Posted January 02, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hola, I live in Tecate BAJA and I have a WR450 and WR250, I use that "cheap" mexican gasoline, be prepare, because you are going to pay more for gas down here, especially when you are in the middle of no where, but you are going to be glad to find gas to keep going.
You are welcome to Mexico, and have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :bonk: :cry:
Jorge.

I'll be down in two weeks. Tecate to Mikes and back. Maybe I'll see ya down there Jorge!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.