Fork Air Bleeding

4 replies to this topic
  • Rocky

Posted September 04, 2001 - 08:10 AM

I changed my fork oil last week - and filled it with the specified oil (5wt). I tried to bleed the air as best I could. Now, the forks do not go through all of thier travel and half way through the stroke they hit a hard spot (it fells like bottoming out) but I know they are not. I opened the air bleed screwes, some air came out. I feel that there is trapped air somewhere. Is there a painless way to get rid of the air?? don't want to take the fork apart agian.
Thanks

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 04, 2001 - 09:37 PM

Rocky,

It doesn't sound like air trapped, this should come right out with the use of the bleed screw.

It sounds more like you put too much fluid in the forks. Does the amount that that you used check with the specs? Isn't the measurement made with the forks compressed. Did you make the measurement with the forks extended? Air is compressible fluid is not.

Just thinking out loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky

Posted September 04, 2001 - 09:44 PM

I used the amount specified in the manual (560cc). Unfortunantly I did not measure the level assuming that the correct amount will result in the standard level. But I think you are correct and there is too much oil in the forks.
Thanks

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 04, 2001 - 11:19 AM

My 99 took 500cc's to bring it to minimum level.

The forks will take that much if you drained ALL oil from them. This usually constitutes completely dismantling them, at least to the cartridge. I had to stroke the cartridge itself LOTS of times to get all the oil out. Even then, after letting them sit out upside down overnight, they were still draining.

You have to pull the base valve and spring to get the cartridge out.
------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited September 04, 2001).]

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 04, 2001 - 12:12 PM

Rocky,

Kevin makes the point, there is no way to reliably use oil volume to set height properly. The only way is to measure. Just make sure you stroke the forks to get all of the air out, otherwise you can put in too little oil.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.