yamaha yz450f or ktm 525sx

6 replies to this topic
  • Tracy Allan

Posted December 30, 2005 - 05:12 AM

I'm going to buy a yz450f or a ktm 525sx, I want to use it for trail riding and riding wheelies. I want lots of fun power and a long lasting engine. Which would be better for the 2004 model ?

• SureBlue

Posted December 30, 2005 - 08:48 AM

I'm going to buy a yz450f or a ktm 525sx, I want to use it for trail riding and riding wheelies. I want lots of fun power and a long lasting engine. Which would be better for the 2004 model ?

Welcome Tracy Allan.
2003 525 had a terrible suspension, especially forks, and a too light flywheel.
2004 was much better and they also went back to the heavier 2002 flywheel. The 525 power is smooth and very ridable. I have heard of some crank bearing issues on newer models, but it seems only pro riders who push the bike really hard have them. It is really a nice bike and ready for trails as it comes from factory, especially the EXC with electric start and lights.
It is 5-speed, has a juice clutch, Magura fatbars and a decent chain. It turns well but may give you occasional high speed headshake, therefore I recommend a steering damper.

The 450 Yamaha has a bullet proof engine, absolutely the most reliable of the big thumpers. You need a heavier flywheel on it for trails, at least you need to change a 50 tooth rear sprocket in order to reduce stalling issues since it is 4-speed and the 1st gear is a bit tall. But this will cost you on high speed.
Suspensionwise it is better than KTM, although I would recommend professional tuning/valving for your weight and riding style for both of the bikes, it will make a big difference!
It is very stable at speed, but may feel a bit top heavy. You can improve the handling and turning by setting the rear sag under 100 mm and raising the forks a little. It will still be stable in high speed.

Both bikes, like all thumpers, need regular low hour oil- and filterchanges. This is the best you can give them to keep them running for hours and hours.

Now, the traditional greeting:
Posted Image
:applause:

• Triumphs

Posted December 30, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Which would be better for the 2004 model ?

For Wheelies? Save yourself some money and get a used KX or CR500! And buy a spare rear fender right up front.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tracy Allan

Posted December 30, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Looks like I should get a yz450. Now I just need to find a good deal on a 2004 model in Texas somewhere and buy it. Thanks!

• bruntz505

Posted December 30, 2005 - 05:56 PM

YZ450F.There's a guy that had one on here for $2600,it was an '03.

• bruntz505

Posted December 30, 2005 - 05:57 PM

He was in OK.

• Tracy Allan

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info !!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.