2005 Suspension mods.

13 replies to this topic
  • JetPilotAlabama

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Ok Guys,

I am going to ride limited soft core MX and trail ride.
I weigh 230 and want to do the mods I need to make the bike safe on the track.

I have been told by the local suspension guy to do the front and rear vales and springs and he will help me set the sag and such- $575.00

Is this good or bad ? Should I do something else.

I also have a heavy GYTR flywheel I am installing very soon.

• aford541

Posted December 29, 2005 - 10:35 PM

Sounds like a good price, I think you need a 5.9 or a 6.0 rear spring and .48 fronts. that is what I run and I am a similar weight .

• Drunken Monkey

Posted December 29, 2005 - 11:33 PM

$575 sounds expensive! It costs that in Australia, which is like $450 US.

Suspension definately best! flywheel will help, you can even get a heavier offroad heavy GYT-R flywheel!

• djo269

Posted December 30, 2005 - 01:01 AM

Why do people pay these guys soo much money to do things you can do at home? Spring installation is a cinch...setting sags is a cinch...instead of having valve work try using a different weight fork oil and see how it dampens...
Seriously, do it yourself. You might learn something for free!

• Drunken Monkey

Posted December 30, 2005 - 01:06 AM

Why do people pay these guys soo much money to do things you can do at home? Spring installation is a cinch...setting sags is a cinch...instead of having valve work try using a different weight fork oil and see how it dampens...
Seriously, do it yourself. You might learn something for free!

Just like porting your own head! Leave it to the experts!

It seriously depends on how much you weigh, how heavier or lighter you have to go in springs. Leave it to the experts, that is their lively hood.

I take it you have never seen a shim stack and don't know how it works........

• djo269

Posted December 30, 2005 - 01:33 AM

I take it you have never seen a shim stack and don't know how it works........

I've looked at blown-up diagrams on the internet of valve stacks but nothing in person. I understand the concepts of what is going on in there.

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 30, 2005 - 08:01 AM

You will want the stiffer springs and then if you are using stock Yamaha springs, you will need a 7mm spacer for them.

You will need the special tools for the fork cap. Either invest in them or just send the units out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted December 30, 2005 - 05:58 PM

go with a stiffer spring on the shock...a revalve is a waste.

Go with stiffer fork springs AND a revalve. The 05 are sweet if the stack is right for your preference.

• aford541

Posted January 01, 2006 - 01:19 AM

Front and rear springs are 200 alone, parts and oil are another hundred, that means revalve front and rear is 275 not bad.
I use Enzo to do my work and I pay a similar amount, they do all the testing for Yamaha of Troy.

• Drunken Monkey

Posted January 01, 2006 - 02:39 AM

go with a stiffer spring on the shock...a revalve is a waste.

Go with stiffer fork springs AND a revalve. The 05 are sweet if the stack is right for your preference.

Agree for sure!

I found the shock valving pretty good, even with heavier spring. It can still be improved, but definately not as necessary as the forks!

Forks need revalve! If you think that they are good now..... you will be blown away!

• Drunken Monkey

Posted January 01, 2006 - 02:42 AM

I've looked at blown-up diagrams on the internet of valve stacks but nothing in person. I understand the concepts of what is going on in there.

Best leave it to the experts then! Otherwise, you will be tearing the tubes down every second day thinking where did you go wrong!!! I don't touch mine, just change the oil every few rides. There is nothing stopping you from having a go, it might be fun to learn. :applause:

• Matty05

Posted January 01, 2006 - 04:13 AM

Ok Guys,

I am going to ride limited soft core MX and trail ride.
I weigh 230 and want to do the mods I need to make the bike safe on the track.

I have been told by the local suspension guy to do the front and rear vales and springs and he will help me set the sag and such- $575.00

Is this good or bad ? Should I do something else.

I also have a heavy GYTR flywheel I am installing very soon.

It is a MUST!!!!! Revalve front and back too! You won't be dissapointed!
I am 240, got my WR done. .50kg/mm fork springs, 6.0kg/mm shock spring. I got springs before I got the valving done. BIG mistake! Shock improved heaps too with valving. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was wrong!

Nothing compares to custom tailored suspension!

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 01, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Wow, $2 bills for springs? Ouch.

10 over cost is $22 each for the front Yamaha alternative chassis springs. Reat is like $60-80

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted January 03, 2006 - 07:21 PM

Ok its going in tomorrow to get revalved and resprung. I cant wait to get it back Saturday to go ride and see what a difference it makes. Between the flywheel weight and the new suspension maybe I wont bust my A_ _ this time out. HaHa. I'll give a report when I get back. The suspension guy is using factory valves and new springs and adjustsing the oil level. I just didnt have the knowledge to dive into this project myself, but maybe next time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.