help me!!

5 replies to this topic
  • bikinnotdykin

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:51 PM

:applause: my friend has an 03 450 and it always pops on decel and is hard to start when cold and when warm. it also idles erratic, sometimes high sometimes low, sometimes snapping the throttle will bring a high idle down and sometimes not. so &%$#@!??? we decided to check the valves and found the intake side to be a little tight so we reshimmed and now they are right on. we also went through the carb and cleaned everything and found a 162 main and the needle on the 3rd from the top. we live in utah at 4000 ft.
we then decided to repack the silencer just cause. we used stainless steel wool around after the stock steel then fiberglass. put everything back together and the carb setting back the same. now the thing really pops a lot after blipping the idle and the pipe got so hot after a few minutes it started melting the air box. it runs worse then before. I am thinking we might be a tooth off on the timing but am not sure is there anything else that could be the cause of this?? could it be the silencer with the new packing? what if the inner part of the silencer is broke and some of the inside isn't lined up. I herd something that sounded wierd when we put the silencer back together. I don't want to redrill the rivets out again unless I have to.

• bikinnotdykin

Posted December 30, 2005 - 08:16 AM

come on guys I know somebody knows what's up

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 30, 2005 - 08:26 AM

Model: 2003 YZ450f
Edit Revision:12/12/05
Timing:
Main Jet: 158
Pilot Jet:38 (edited)
Starter Jet: stock?
Leak: n/a
Fuel screw: Zyp Ty 1 1/2 turns out
Needle: #3 clip ( stock)
Air box: Twin Air and Unis
Pipe/muffler: Stock header, FMF Q (older version)
Altitude: 5700 feet and up to 11k
Temp:current 40-80F
Humidity: 30%

After Edit Satisfaction: Bike runs perfectly now. Lesson learned is that a very rich pilot and a very rich main jet seems to mimick a lean condition. High hanging idle, surging and sometimes hard to start. Except it could foul a plug.

Pre-edit, I'm on the verge of dropping the needle back down, ie placing the clip at the #4 position, back in the middle position to richen it up slightly.

#4 position at 8000 feet and 80'f was horrible, creating a rich bog in the middle and stumbling from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Probably because needle richness in conjunction with AP injection. #3 needle clip is best setting

I love the Q by the way. Its sufficiently quiet that you can now hear a lot of engine noise. Man these motors rattle and hum

Degree of statifaction prior to the 38 pj change: bike is g00d,no bog, good throttle response and runs like a striped ape WFO BUT it has a real annoying midrange surge that I cannot cure either with richer or leaner jetting, needle height etc. Sometimes hard to start.

Note: Temp has ranged from 70'f to 95'f recently so everyday its something different. Altitude has ranged from 5700 to 9000 feet.

As of 11-1-05 the current jetting is perfect for my conditions. Italics denote notes prior to finding a good combination of lean needle and pj range.

I think your bike is horribly rich. It sounds like the way mine used to run. You need to give us the full specs on your jetting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoNatz88

Posted December 30, 2005 - 10:23 AM

you can also just try moving your air screw out and that might help a little. did for me.

• flintlock28

Posted December 30, 2005 - 01:19 PM

MotoNatz88.

4 strokes don't use air screws for their carbuerators....

It's called a Fuel Screw on a 4 stroke carb.

Turning it out will enrich the mixture, turning it in will lean it out.

I think Motogoalie is right about this one......

• bikinnotdykin

Posted December 30, 2005 - 10:20 PM

you knoe I pulled the spark plug to find it running really lean. the plug is brand new and was almost white. does reshimming the intake valves normally require a jetting change?? I did go to a 45 from a 42 on the pilot jet and raise the needle to the 4th clip with a 162 main the fuel screw was @ 3/4 turn but I went to 2.5 cause of the plug. it still popped but not as bad and the pipe was not as hot either. I think if I go up one more size on the pilot and see what happens. it's just wierd that I am running into this big jetting problem after the reshim. could I be a tooth off on one of the cams?? thanks guys!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.