Rekulse Installation Question

4 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I received a Rekluse clutch from my wife for Xmas and was installing it tonight. It was after Rekluses hours when these questions came up so I thought I'd check in here.

I'm installing the clutch on an '00 426. The instructions for the spring adjustment do show the same clamp location as I have and I was wondering if anyone has a picture of an '00 model that shows how they relocated their bracket.

It was late when I finished and I put it in gear and rolled it and found there was quite a bit of drag when pushing the bike in 1st gear. I started the bike briefly and and put it in gear immediately only to have the engine stall as it lurched forward.

My installed gap is .033" so I'm well withing range there. In talking with Rekluse earlier in the evening about another question they said to let the oil heat up good before riding it.

Is this stalling problem a direct result of the cold oil? Or, do I have to make some more adjustments on the spring. I'm running the light spring but even if I take the spring off I still have the same amount of drag when rolling it.

I do not have the pearch adjuster and I have removed the clutch lever altogether. It sure seems wierd not having the lever in place. :applause:

• biznet1

Posted December 30, 2005 - 02:53 AM

I don't have an answer to your first question, but the heavier spring is going to help keep the clutch engaged. Mine did lung forward initially and faded some after the oil warmed. With the spring off it's definitely going to lunge forward, but are you saying that with the spring off your clutch is still partially engaged? If this is true, how did your clutch act prior to the rekluse? Have you done the 01 clutch mod? I remember my 00 clutch sucked hind pig tits before the mod. I didn't have the rekluse on my 426 however, so my experience is with a different bike. BTW, you should get the left hand rear brake attachment. It's nice to have on the track.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MNellis

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:10 PM

I don't have an answer to your first question, but the heavier spring is going to help keep the clutch engaged. Mine did lung forward initially and faded some after the oil warmed. With the spring off it's definitely going to lunge forward, but are you saying that with the spring off your clutch is still partially engaged? If this is true, how did your clutch act prior to the rekluse? Have you done the 01 clutch mod? I remember my 00 clutch sucked hind pig tits before the mod. I didn't have the rekluse on my 426 however, so my experience is with a different bike. BTW, you should get the left hand rear brake attachment. It's nice to have on the track.

You are correct, my stock clutch was a piece of doo-doo.

This morning I decided to follow the instructions and do the break-in correctly. After letting the oil warm then rolling it back and forth in 2nd gear it seemed to have less drag. I then started it and put it in gear. It had quite a bit of drag and wanted to roll forward but I was able to hold it in place with the rear brake without it stalling. I performed the break-in as the instructions stated and noticed as I rode it up the neighborhood streets it was extremely noisy. After the break-in was complete I was able to stop in gear with only a little bit of drag. The noise seemed to be less as well but it was still much noiser than stock.

It was suggested to me by another member that removing the spring on the clutch shaft might help as well. When riding around the neighborhood it was sure a strange feeling not having a clutch lever in place. It's certainly rideable now and I plan to give it some more break-in time and my guess is that it will do just fine.

It's also interesting to note that the instructions said to remove the "clutch boss spring" from underneath the clutch pak. The interesting part is that my clutch had no such "boss springs" installed. My clutch was the original one so my best guess is that it was an early model but there is also no mention of these "boss springs" in the repair manual.

Mike

• jerryls

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:24 PM

If your getting drag when in gear at idle, adjust the spring. Either put more tension on the small spring, or switch to the large spring.

You did recheck your gap after break-in, right?

Jerry

• MNellis

Posted December 30, 2005 - 11:21 PM

I
You did recheck your gap after break-in, right?

Jerry

Nope, not yet but it's on my list. Thanks for the adjustment tip.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.