Leaky forks on my Wr 400

11 replies to this topic
  • racejmac

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:49 AM

I just bought a 98 wr 400 and have not had time to ride or get a service manual...

Does anyone have experience with fork seals... Left side is wet... It has a fork sock on it and it's not soaked but a leak is a leak...

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to tear it apart and replace a seal...

• jamieyz426f01

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Its not too hard to do the seals. I would recomend getting a manual though for all the oil levels etc. :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Manual would be necessary for first timer. You'll also need a seal driver which can be made out of PVC slipxslip pipe coupler, I think you want 2", cost is about .98 cents :applause:

• Joe_dirtbiker

Posted December 29, 2005 - 12:06 PM

I just took my 03 fork apart for the first time last night. Seal was out in under an hour. None too difficult and no special tool required aside from the driver.

• tntmo

Posted December 29, 2005 - 12:33 PM

I have always used the old fork seal to drive the new one in. The only issue with that on USD forks is that you have to cut off the old seal with a side cutters.

• xr_man

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:01 PM

its not unheard of for fork seals to leak , if the bike has been standing for a while and then used ....SOMETIMES they stop leaking again on there own ....worth a try if your bike has stood for a time :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:29 PM

might try CLEANING the seal before replacing it, if it is only barely leaking.

Run some camera film up under the seal to scrape away any dirt in between the seal and the fork shaft.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I have always used the old fork seal to drive the new one in. The only issue with that on USD forks is that you have to cut off the old seal with a side cutters.

I also use the old seal to drive the new ones in, my old seals are in my toolbox but i can't remember how i done it without cutting them :bonk: :applause:

• Bamster

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Put 2 rounds of electrical tape around the fork leg about 2 inches below the seal, push down on the bars a couple of times , take off the tape. If it still leaks change it.

• byggd

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Run some camera film up under the seal to scrape away any dirt in between the seal and the fork shaft.

I tried this on my 02 and it works great :applause: Then I added some seal savers to keep the dirt out.

• Bamster

Posted December 30, 2005 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARin

I tried this on my 02 and it works great

Put 2 rounds of electrical tape around the fork leg about 2 inches below the seal, push down on the bars a couple of times , take off the tape.

This is much easier and has the same result. :applause:

• byggd

Posted December 30, 2005 - 09:47 AM

This is much easier and has the same result. :applause:

I tried the tape technique too but IMO the film works better because the holes along the edge trap the dirt and help pull it out :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.