TRANSMISSION OIL??? change

34 replies to this topic
  • Scspringer81

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:22 AM

i have a 2005 crf 450r and when i change my oil for the transmission it says to use .59 litters and i was told thats 590 cc so i put that amount in it and when i check the oil through the oil check bolt for the transmission it doesn't just drip out like it's supposed it pours out.. AM i using the wrong amount of oil or should i just let it flow out till it just drips..????

please help

• Leardriver

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:31 AM

Just measure out the exact amount and pour it in. I never take out the check bolt. It has been known to mislead.

• gchprime

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Just measure out the exact amount and pour it in. I never take out the check bolt. It has been known to mislead.

Yes, the check bolt is only useful on perfectly level ground. Just do the measure and pour it in. :applause:

• acguy

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:39 AM

I heard once that the oil needs to stabilize over into the tranny side before your pull the check bolt. I just lean the bike to the left side once or twice, stand her back up, then pull check bolt. This may not be the best way, but it seems to work.

• SidewinderX

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:44 AM

I have always just measured and poured it in. So far so good for almost 3 yrs of good riding on it. I abuse the heck out of my clutch in tight stuff and have not had any problems. :applause:

• briansgi

Posted December 29, 2005 - 11:04 AM

i have a 2005 crf 450r and when i change my oil for the transmission it says to use .59 litters and i was told thats 590 cc so i put that amount in it and when i check the oil through the oil check bolt for the transmission it doesn't just drip out like it's supposed it pours out.. AM i using the wrong amount of oil or should i just let it flow out till it just drips..????

please help

Or, 20 ounces.

• reconranger

Posted December 29, 2005 - 11:43 AM

I overfill slightly, then take a short ride to be sure the oil is distributed throughout the transmission. Then I pull the check bolt out and let it drain to the proper level.

• CraZ DrtRider17

Posted December 29, 2005 - 11:53 AM

I use an entire quart on the right side of the bike...

• Slugblaster

Posted January 01, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Ziegler I don't get you. An entire quart is 12oz too much. Engine or Trans?

• Autospirit

Posted January 02, 2006 - 12:13 AM

Oil also expands when it gets hot...just something to keep in mind even tho it might not apply to the original post.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Warror102

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:04 AM

I have read it all here and in the mags concerning the CRF trans oil levels, if you follow the manual .69 qt = 22 fl oz and will not fill it to the level checking bolt, it will be 2-3 oz low. Nooks and crannies, if you drained the transmission without holding the bike upside down it should refill without any acrobatics. Transmission 3 oz low or 3 oz high is probably not going to make much of a difference as the inside of the gear box when the gears are in motion will be a firestorm of slung oil. Severe overfilling will cause the fluid to expand and cause hydraulic lock (oil cannot be compressed). I personally use the oil check bolt, I usually pull both drains while on the side stand then refill on the center stand (crate), being level has never been a concern as the folks that built my house appear to have used a level. Most likely Honda intends the check bolt to be utilized when the machine is hot and the oil has expanded during moto's, either method will be fine I'm sure.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 02, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Oil also expands when it gets hot...just something to keep in mind even tho it might not apply to the original post.

Thermodynamics and all of physics says, FLUIDS are considered non-compressable. ie, they neither expand nor contract. So no, oil does not expand.

It may froth up with air bubbles but oil does not expand.

though....

The only fluid that expands upon FREEZING is water, but that is going from the liquid to solid state. That is why ice floats. It's the only liquid with that property and that's due to the molecular structure of a water molecule. In relation to other molecules its a tetrahedral structure with the two unbonded electrons the oxygen.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 02, 2006 - 10:22 AM

I Severe overfilling will cause the fluid to expand and cause hydraulic lock (oil cannot be compressed). .

That's called a contradictory statement. :applause: :bonk:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 13, 2006 - 01:59 PM

Tall Dude, check your PM's.

• gchprime

Posted February 13, 2006 - 02:56 PM

I use an entire quart on the right side of the bike...

Does it make its way out onto your swingarm and linkage? A whole qt is way too much. :thumbsup:

• Autospirit

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Thermodynamics and all of physics says, FLUIDS are considered non-compressable. ie, they neither expand nor contract. So no, oil does not expand.

It may froth up with air bubbles but oil does not expand.

though....

The only fluid that expands upon FREEZING is water, but that is going from the liquid to solid state. That is why ice floats. It's the only liquid with that property and that's due to the molecular structure of a water molecule. In relation to other molecules its a tetrahedral structure with the two unbonded electrons the oxygen.

OK, now i'm confused as to why oil levels are different when hot vs. cold? You're saying its the air bubbles? Learn something new every day... :thumbsup:

So either way...the oil level is higher when hot; do you agree with this statement?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:41 PM

dont you just hate it when your finger poke through the paper when your wiping? uggghhhh...and ya get poop on the faucet handle when youre washing...then ya gotta wash the handle too...

Its just awful...

This trans oil thing has been done to death...over and over and over...

A decent post regarding the trans oil level and oil types this verses that should be a sticky at the top....

Besides...you dont really have to change the trans oil...just keep adding...and adding...and adding...right?

• Autospirit

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:54 PM

dont you just hate it when your finger poke through the paper when your wiping? uggghhhh...and ya get poop on the faucet handle when youre washing...then ya gotta wash the handle too...

Its just awful...

This trans oil thing has been done to death...over and over and over...

A decent post regarding the trans oil level and oil types this verses that should be a sticky at the top....

Besides...you dont really have to change the trans oil...just keep adding...and adding...and adding...right?

Ha! Guess you don't use Cottonelle Ultra...It is extremely thick and absorbent!

• ShadyatBest

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:10 PM

Or, 20 ounces.

i use a empty bottle of ole e and fill it half way

• RMXC51

Posted February 16, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Its been well documented since the original 02 bike came out that the check bolt IS IN THE WRONG PLACE and is NOT an accurate way to guage how much oil is in the tranny, hot or cold.

I put 620ml in and forget about it until the next oil change. Too much will cause problems like blowing the crank seal and leeting trans oil into the engine side. Too little and you may fry the kickstart idler gear and do other damage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My New Project '08 Build by mrmoto35

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 INFO? by Phil Hannah

• Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Ride 2015 CRF450 by Hillguitar

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.