Broken kickstarter guide in the crankcase - am I screwed?

6 replies to this topic
  • franktom

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:26 AM

The guide in the crankcase for the kickstarter shaft broke. It broke about 75% of the guide off at the base. Since the guide is cast into the crankcase is there any way for this to be repaired or am I screwed?

• bigboredbiker

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:14 AM

If you mean the cast aluminium part, then I'm sorry to say that you wil have a lot of trouble welding it back in. The problem is that aluminium is porous, goes brittle with age/heat(work hardens) and also manages to absorb a fair amount of the engine oil. When you try to weld it, all that happens is that is spits, pops and generally makes a real mess. At best it might just hold for a short while, but the only real solution is a replacement....sorry. Any other thoughts from the other guys???

• Bob East

Posted December 29, 2005 - 02:25 PM

According to my aluminum welding guru, another reason for the spitting
is that those cases are made of an aluminum/magnesium alloy and the
stuff is extremely difficult to weld. Also, if it ever catches fire, it can
be nearly impossible to extinguish.

Rgds,
Bob East

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hodgkins

Posted December 29, 2005 - 02:30 PM

you might be able to have it bored out and put in a brass sleeve or you might get lucky and find a drill bushing the right size and have it pressed in.

• bork

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:39 AM

The guide in the crankcase for the kickstarter shaft broke. It broke about 75% of the guide off at the base. Since the guide is cast into the crankcase is there any way for this to be repaired or am I screwed?

anyone else have this problem ? Any preventitive cures ? Will we all eventually have this break ?

• Xr650rhonda

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:07 AM

I fixed a big chuck of missing case just under my flywheel cover on my 1979 Xs1100f with JB weld. I shaped it with a dye grinding tool and even drilled it and tapped a thread. I have read posts of people using JB weld to fix holes in clutch covers and cracks in cases.

• franktom

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the great ideas guys! However, I don't think there is enough surrounding material to "hold" a sleeve or bushing. The guide is load bearing and is about 1-1/2" deep so I don't think that JB Weld will have sufficient strength - given the extent of the damage. It looks like my only two options are: 1) find a replacement crankcase or 2) part the bike out and sell it piece by piece. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.