06 yz450f tripple clamp problems

13 replies to this topic
  • haasmx

Posted December 28, 2005 - 01:55 PM

anybody running into trouble installing aftermarket triple clamp? it appears the stock upper clamp is 2mm wider then lower clamp. this would have the forks running at a (V) to the axle. I'm installing universal upper clamp and it match's lower stock clamp. then the problem is the axle and spacers are to short. the non brake side spacer is 2mm wider, if i install the two wider spacers verything aligns up. i also had to put spacers on caliper 2mm. something just not right. would yamaha due this to use last years spacers, axle,and caliper? any help? haasmx.com

• Fastkid591

Posted December 28, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Had any other problems?

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:01 PM

The clamp you have is not made to fit the '06. I don't know for a certainty that the '06 clamp centers the fork tubes differently or not, but I will boldly say that the the tube centers on the top and bottom '06 clamps are the same. It's your "universal" that doesn't match.

Why would you put a top clamp on it anyway? it already has removable bar mounts.

• SCIENCE

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:05 PM

The clamp you have is not made to fit the '06. I don't know for a certainty that the '06 clamp centers the fork tubes differently or not, but I will boldly say that the the tube centers on the top and bottom '06 clamps are the same. It's your "universal" that doesn't match.

Why would you put a top clamp on it anyway? it already has removable bar mounts.

Exactly! Call Applied, BRP, Emig, TAG, GYT-R etc, etc. They all have or will have risers that will work on your stock top clamp!

• haasmx

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:07 PM

no, the bike has not been rode yet. live in minn. the boy will be leaving sunday and stays in okl tell spring. we have 06 yz250f and 06yz450f with two more bikes coming. haasmx

• snowboardstylee

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:09 PM

why are you changing your upper clamp.??????

• Reyndogg

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:15 PM

need a clamp for the 06, older models wont work.

why do some of you care if he wants a new clamp ? :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • haasmx

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:28 PM

older @ yzer, the stock upper clamp is 136.20, lower 132.9. upper fork tube 55.9, lower 59.22mm. still puts 2mm off. right? i called universal they said its the same as last yrs bikes. and it measures same as last years pro taper clamp 134.2. we like rubber mounts,adjustable height, and the black looks good on yellow bikes.haasmx

• 97chevy

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:09 PM

When did your 06 come in and what dealer did you get it from.? Just wondering. Thanks

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 28, 2005 - 05:23 PM

Universal has got there head up their Butt! The 06 clamps are wider than previous years. I have some RG3 clamps for a 05 and they do not work, Be patient and the after market will figure things out.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:59 PM

older @ yzer, the stock upper clamp is 136.20, lower 132.9. upper fork tube 55.9, lower 59.22mm. still puts 2mm off. right? i called universal they said its the same as last yrs bikes. and it measures same as last years pro taper clamp 134.2. we like rubber mounts,adjustable height, and the black looks good on yellow bikes.haasmx

I take these dimensions to be the distances between the inner edges of the fork bores and the tube diameters. To find center to center on each clamp, you would add the radius of the fork tube to each bore, or more simply, just add the diameter of the tube (the diameter is twice the radius, so it is the same as adding the radius twice)

On the top clamp, 136.2 + 55.9 = 192.1 center to center.

The bottom, 132.9 + 59.2 = 192.1 center to center.

Check your math.

And anyway, how much credence have they earned when they told you it measured 134.2 and you have already measured it at 136.2?

• Beanb1

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Tried to change to my 05 RG3 triple clamps a couple weeks ago and found the same problem, 2mm wider between fork tops. I emailed RG3 and they said not to use the 05 clamps on an 06. Now I've got an extra RG3 triple clamp for an 05.

• haasmx

Posted December 29, 2005 - 05:39 AM

thanks guys, stock are back on and waiting to hear from universal. will let you know what they say. i have three sets and was told they will work.they won't. anybody interested in new 05 clamps? may have some for sale. go to our website and leave message if interested.(haasmx.com )thanks for all the help. we buy our bikes at zacho sports, chippewa falls wisc

• RCannon

Posted December 29, 2005 - 05:57 AM

I remember reading that Yamaha did alter the dimensions for 06. The fork legs are 2 mm wider than before.

The wheel spacers are the same because the extra 2mm was made up for in the axle mounts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.