What Are The Best Off-Road Grips?

20 replies to this topic
  • Hoverboy

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:18 AM

I put some new Scott waffle pattern grips on my XR650R, and did a 50 mile desert loop ride last Saturday. These grips were not very comfy, and I had a few blisters at the end of the ride. :bonk: I am going to buy some new grips, but wanted to see what you guys are using, and having the best luck with? BRP's rule! :applause:

Has anyone tried these off Ebay??

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Renthal Soft compound or any Diamond type pattern.

I have smaller hands.

• kehale

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:47 AM

Spider Grips.

• don87xr600

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:03 AM

pro grip dual sport grips

• Hoverboy

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:22 AM

One of my buddy swears by Progrips, he says they are real comfy, and slip on the bars. I will have to see if my local shop sells them.

I have never heard of Spiders, where do you buy them??

• roadcam

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:47 AM

I use Pro-Grips, the model with the finger-indents, my hands are big, and tend to slip off the ends, so these grips helped a lot .. :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Hebo, hands down. They're made by Gas Gas.

• Chas_M

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:57 AM

Click here fo ProGrip review.

• x thread

Posted December 28, 2005 - 10:29 AM

i use spider grips offroad on my 03 650r .they work great so far no blisters

• Hoverboy

Posted December 28, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Well, that's 3 votes for Pro-Grips. I will plan on hitting the Honda Dealer after work and pick some up. Thanks for the input, experience=wisdom. :applause:

TT Forum Rocks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:12 AM

I use the Pro Grip 737's and won't use anything else...especially if you have big meatpawls!

• don87xr600

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:43 AM

I like the 714's :applause:

• Naru

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:47 AM

In dry weather, Spyder Grips are the best compromise between comfort and durability that I have found. Plus, they actually get better with time, developing a 'tackiness' that I haven't found in any other grips. However, when exposed to mud they are terrible (it feels like someone covered the grips with lithium grease). So during the rainy season, I've had the best success with Tag Half-waffle (soft/medium) grips, which are very durable and very comfortable (though not quite as much as the Spyders). Lastly, if you run bark-buster type handguards, Oury streetbike grips (the kind with raised gel squares) are firm enough for dirt riding but have tons of padding for long rides. However, they tear easily from crashes, so running barkbusters is a must. They are also a bit on the 'thick' side, which may be a good or bad thing depending on how large your hands are.

• frankstr

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:17 PM

I have Oury's on my mountain bike, But they don't make that design for motorcycles.. :bonk: :cry:
So, I have Spyder grip's , they work great for me... :applause: :cry:

• Hoverboy

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I ended up buying a set of ProGrip 737's. They seem to be pretty comfortable. I will get them broken in at Glamis this weekend. I took my rear rim in to the shop and had them mount up a Turbo Paddle tire. It looks like it will huck some sand........ :applause: :bonk: :cry:

• bigboredbiker

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:05 AM

Pro Grip have always worked for me, on or off road... :applause:

• jim1234

Posted December 29, 2005 - 07:25 AM

I really like spider grips

• nscmj3

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:09 AM

spider grips...soft and helps absorb some vibration. Wont try anything else now!

• Supplicate

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:07 PM

so far I prefer the good old Renthal half waffle. Have plans to try some spyder grips here soon though.

• Yak

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:09 PM

I like the spiders.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.