Essential things to do to mod your WR

19 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 12:22 AM

I have tried to put together a list of things to do to the WR to get it sweet!

suspension set up (revalve and new springs)
free mods (airbox, grey wire)
zip-ty fuel mixture screw
JD Jetting kit
handguards
slip-on muffler
bashplate
twin air airfilters
new tyres
Vortex ignition

Have I missed anything?

• simon@vic

Posted December 28, 2005 - 12:42 AM

-GOOD rad guards/supports
-tapered bars and risers
-heavy duty tubes

• mousemeat

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:22 AM

i wouldn't call the vortex ignition 'essential'.

Also, you only need to redo the suspension if you are, how should i put it, gravitationally attractive. At 185lbs i can get it round an MX track with downhill jumps in stock form. It doesn't even bottom out if i land on the gas.

I definitely agree about the tyres though. I've heard people say chuck the stock ones in the bin. I'm to mean to throw away a hundred bucks worth of tyre, but now i realize that the using the stock tyres was like throwing away a six thousand dollar bike. Swapping out for some S12's is the best mod i have made, and that includes pulling out the butt-plug (errr, exhaust baffle).

• MichielD

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:38 AM

-tapered bars and risers

I strongly agree!!!!
My Renthal Fatbars (RC High Bend) and adapter/riser, are hands down the best mods I have ever made. You will not believe the handleing improvements, feels like a whole new bike all around.

Racetech suspension upgardes are awesome too!!!

Another Mod that deservises an honorable mention is my street plate!!!!! Can't beat the fact that I can Jump on the WR , drive to the MX track, put in some good laps, lauch off a freestyle ramp a few times, and ride back home!!!

• drewpeacock

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:56 AM

The KLX http://www.dirt-bike...rdura_bags.html is a great fit and holds essential tools and paperwork and deserves a mention.

• stanleigh12

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:35 AM

FMF 4.1 Titanium power bomb system provides outstanding HP throughout all ranges.. :bonk: I wouldn't be without it!!! : :cry: And, the Scotts stabilizer has saved me more times than I care to admit! :applause:

• vorra65

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Fastway, F 3's

A hundred dollars well spent.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:04 AM

I don't think that a revalve and new springs are a must at all. I've set my suspension up just the way I like.. If I felt like it was undersprung then yes, I would send it in. I'm a happy camper with the stock specs...

I personally don't think that the vortex ingition is a must have item, maybe a nice luxury for some.

• J_DOGG

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:26 AM

I don't think you mentioned.

Replacing the stock throttle pin for the YZ throttle pin.
New handlebars the stock ones suck! I got some Pro tapper high bend ones and like them.

Mine is street legal also, a must have for my type of riding.

I'm going to add the REKLUSE this spring, I hear it's a must have, thoughts???

• dman450f

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:04 AM

how about the AIS removal ?? huh? :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grandville

Posted December 28, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Why not just buy a KTM :bonk: , Just kidding... I loved my 03-WR450...then it got stolen. After re-jetting the t-4 exhaust unleashed my blue beast :applause: .

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 01:50 PM

I don't think that a revalve and new springs are a must at all. I've set my suspension up just the way I like.. If I felt like it was undersprung then yes, I would send it in. I'm a happy camper with the stock specs...

I personally don't think that the vortex ingition is a must have item, maybe a nice luxury for some.

I don't think you have tried both! Try them and you will be converted!

Grey wire mod is pathetic compared to Vortex ignition! Vortex cleans everything up, raises rev limit, adds power, makes it run so smooth! To get the most out of a pipe change, you should change the ignition also. I wouldn't give it up for anything. Definately a strong recommendation, not a luxury item!

They (recetech) say the best suspension you know is the best you have ever ridden! Even if I was 70kgs, I would get my suspension done. Stock valving is soft and crap. I wouldn't really touch it if I was 70kgs and had an '06 model though, the suspension is light years ahead of the '05's.

• byggd

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I agree Dan. My suspension is stock and has so many adjustments I was able to dial it in for the type of riding I do. If you race maybe it's a must but I trail ride and it rides perfect......if I wanted a more aggressive suspension I would have bought a YZ :applause:

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:44 PM

I agree Dan. My suspension is stock and has so many adjustments I was able to dial it in for the type of riding I do. If you race maybe it's a must but I trail ride and it rides perfect......if I wanted a more aggressive suspension I would have bought a YZ :applause:

No, it is definately not agressive, anything but! I can't begin to explain how much better it is over standard. I don't race my bike either, but I could easily.
try to ride someone elses that has theirs done, you will be really impressed.

I agree that it works standard, but it can be that much better. The stock bike works standard, but if you uncork it............

I am not trying to sell you suspension, so I will be quiet now............

• Drunken Monkey

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I agree Dan. My suspension is stock and has so many adjustments I was able to dial it in for the type of riding I do. If you race maybe it's a must but I trail ride and it rides perfect......if I wanted a more aggressive suspension I would have bought a YZ :cry:

ha ha ha! Stop it man! You have a 426 and you think the stock suspension is good :bonk:
Well, if you are happy!

Yamaha has had big problems with suspension untill 06. My WR suspension is crapity crap, but still light years ahead of the 01 WR 426 I owned.

I have even got my 06 YZ suspension set up properly, it still dived a bit under brakes.

Definately 1st mod you should do, helps you ride so much better. It doesn't matter if trail riding or racing. People spend $400 or more on a pipe straight away, suspension tuning costs about the same but way more benefit. :applause:

• rich1167

Posted December 28, 2005 - 10:15 PM

IMHO to experience the true power of the bike it goes: Uncork the exhaust, YZ throttle stop, re-jet {JD kit preferred}, Zip-Ty fuel screw, airbox mods, gray wire and Unless you do a lot of open riding drop the front sprocket to a 13. Although the AIS removal wont add power. It's nice to not hear all that popping. This is what is done to mine so far. I have no bog and a hard time keeping the front end down in all gears but 5th. If you have the extra $$$ then all the other stuff mentioned.

• byggd

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:42 AM

ha ha ha! Stop it man! You have a 426 and you think the stock suspension is good :bonk:
Well, if you are happy!

Yamaha has had big problems with suspension untill 06. My WR suspension is crapity crap, but still light years ahead of the 01 WR 426 I owned.

I have even got my 06 YZ suspension set up properly, it still dived a bit under brakes.

Definately 1st mod you should do, helps you ride so much better. It doesn't matter if trail riding or racing. People spend $400 or more on a pipe straight away, suspension tuning costs about the same but way more benefit. :applause:

Like I said, it all depends on the type of riding you do. I have ridden a 03 and 05 wr450 and a 2 smoker yz250. Better with more control but not worth spending $$ on :cry:

• nothingleft

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:47 AM

IMHO to experience the true power of the bike it goes: Uncork the exhaust, YZ throttle stop, re-jet {JD kit preferred}, Zip-Ty fuel screw, airbox mods, gray wire and Unless you do a lot of open riding drop the front sprocket to a 13. Although the AIS removal wont add power. It's nice to not hear all that popping. This is what is done to mine so far. I have no bog and a hard time keeping the front end down in all gears but 5th. If you have the extra $$$ then all the other stuff mentioned.

I went for my first ride on my new bike yesterday and it was muddy as hell out there. So far I have cut the throttle stop down, inserted the Promoto billet exhaust and removed the snorkel. The AIS kit is on back order and I am waiting for that before trying the rejetting or cutting the gray wire. My bike was popping and snorting all over the place. I think I will drop the front sprocket down to a 13. It seemed a bit too high for first gear, especially in the mud. Anything else I should be doing to it for now?

• rich1167

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I cut out the the right side of my air box. Do a search on air box mods. If you take the seat, plate and black cover off their are marks on the air box where you can cut it out with a utility knife. If you don't want to wait for the AIS kit you can plug the tubes going to the intake boot, intake manifold and exhaust manifold. I don't think the Gray wire makes that big of difference on engine performance. I can't feel it. I think someone on here posted Dyno results and gained 1 HP on the top end with it cut. Re-jetting and air box mods will make the biggest difference without spending big $$$. I would recommend the the Zip-Ty fuel screw when you re-jet. It enables you to adjust on the fly.

• Matty05

Posted December 29, 2005 - 04:46 PM

I cut out the the right side of my air box. Do a search on air box mods. If you take the seat, plate and black cover off their are marks on the air box where you can cut it out with a utility knife.
Re-jetting and air box mods will make the biggest difference without spending big $$$. I would recommend the the Zip-Ty fuel screw when you re-jet. It enables you to adjust on the fly.

I couldn't agree more! You have to cut the side of the airbox, just removing the snorkle does nothing. Fuel screw is one of the best things I have put on my bike! It was either put the fuel screw in or take the carby off to adjust it. Not good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.