how to change shock oil

5 replies to this topic
  • new2blu

Posted December 27, 2005 - 09:22 PM

Has anyone change the rear shock oil themselves? I can't find any info in the owner's manual; could anyone give instructions on how to change the shock oil on an03 WR450?

• BEAN329

Posted December 27, 2005 - 09:41 PM

have you ever done any shock before?

• catmanz440

Posted December 27, 2005 - 09:46 PM

Unless you have the tools to do it, I would not recommend it. It is pressurized with nitrogen and therefore you need to refil it when you are done. Also, the tools that are required are very expensive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fuzzbee

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:59 AM

I did it on my '00 400 because I needed to change a leaking seal. It is hard to get all the air out because the seal head does not have a air weep hole. There were no special tools required. A local shop should be able to recharge it for less than $15. Considering the hassle it is to do the job, the time it requires to learn to do it, and the mess you end up with, it is not worth it, although I will probably do it again. There is a KYB service guide on the internet and an old article in a dirt rider magazine that can help. I do not have the links though.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Changing the oil is easy. Changing a shock seal is impossible.

• new2blu

Posted December 28, 2005 - 05:55 PM

have you ever done any shock before?

No I haven't done any shock before--I have done forks on many bikes,top end rebuild on 4 stroke bikes.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.