06 450 differances

4 replies to this topic
  • 757holeshot

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:11 PM

well i just my new blue thumper even though its yellow and i like it alot and i was just wondering if the US models come with an FMF powerbomb style header pipe like the (australian) models and i was just curious to what they do

• flintlock28

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:20 PM

I don't have an 06 model (I have an 04 model), but my understanding from the U.S. magazine articles is that the U.S. models do NOT have the powerbomb/megabomb option. They have a straight header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 757holeshot

Posted December 28, 2005 - 01:33 PM

does the powerbomb thing smooth it out or sumthin

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Exhaust tuning makes use of pressure wave timing to evacuate the exhaust and to aid in bringing the fresh fuel air charge into the engine during the valve overlap. You can bias an engine toward peak performance at higher or lower rpm by changing the length of the header, but the effect is limited somewhat to a fairly narrow range of engine speed. The "Power Bomb" section has the effect of damping the pressure waves in a way that allows the header to behave as if it were a variable length. That tends to widen the power curve and soften any sudden "hits". Works well.

It also reduces noise by as much as 1-2 db, which may be the real reason it's on the Euro and Aussie models.

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 03:07 PM

It also reduces noise by as much as 1-2 db, which may be the real reason it's on the Euro and Aussie models.

No, It just works better!

I think FMF must have something to do with why everyone else around the world gets it and USA models miss out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.