*Attention YZ400 owners!*

64 replies to this topic
  • mobley1019

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:20 PM

i don't ever use the hot start, and on these 400s, they have a fuel accelerator so you don't need to give it gas, that could just foul the plug out, but i guess if it works better for ya, then do whatcha gotta do

• maarten

Posted February 14, 2006 - 04:00 PM

yes i have a yz 250 94 and a yz 400 99 .
i love the bottem pwer from the 400. i like the turn from the 250
i bougth the 400 for 1650 euro.

dutch sandrider

• Rookio

Posted February 14, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I bought a new '99 YZ400 when they first came out; I am a 45+ vet rider that raced "back in the day" (early 80's), but had a couple of kids right after I bought it, so it never got ridden much, and it was never raced. I'd be surprised if it has 20 hours on it, almost all trail riding, I only get to ride it 1-2 times a year, but it works good on an mx track, and is excellent in the woods. I am on the heavy side (250+) so the suspension is perfect for the woods, but needs heavier springs for the track. My buddy (former state vet mx champ in IL) has a 2004 CRF 450, and my 400 will pull him in a drag race every time. I just bought an '06 YZ 450 SE; it's gonna be hard to part with "old reliable", I changed the oil every other ride, and she still starts first kick every year even after sitting all winter....great bike, IMHO. My wife is "asking" me to sell it, but I think I am gonna stash it at a friends house.....LOL

If you are in the Chicago area and are looking for one in excellent condition, I'd be willing to listen.....

• Blaster21996

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:17 AM

[quote name='rdefonce'][quote name='theclone']I just got off the phone with a guy selling his 400. I have a pretty good feeling about buying it. Can anyone give me some details about the 400? How do you like it? Is there anything I should watch out for? Also, does anyone have the specs? I want to make sure I will be making the right decision.

:thumbsup:[/QUOTE

The first year was '98, second year for 400 was 99. Only two years for 400, in 2000 the 426 was offered. '99 model was refined version of 98; carb glitches were fixed for 99, suspension was really good in '99, jetting on lean side from factory. Engine one of most reliable of all the 4-stroke Yamahas.

Of course watch out for bike that hasn't been maintained properly. Ask about maintenance, what was routinely done, any problems, etc.[/QUOTE]

I had a 2000 WR400, did Yamaha continue making the 400 in the WR for 1 year longer then the YZ? :thumbsup:

• DRH

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Ditto to what everyone prior has said. I bought mine new in 99. It is the most reliable of all the current 4 strokes. I know it may be hard to imagine, but I am still running the original head and valves. Other than adjustments with shims the whole upper end has been rock solid. I replaced the piston once and that was out of guilt. I just figured it was time. I was wrong, the top end was in perfect shape. MX Tech did wonders with the suspension front and rear. and a fly wheel weight helped for trail riding. Those were the only mods made. Its on its 2nd clutch. not bad for 6 years of riding.

• DRH

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:22 AM

What specs do you want?

• GreenKLX

Posted February 15, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I'm thinking of buying my buddies 400, I really want to know how much HP they came w/ from the factory.

• DRH

Posted February 16, 2006 - 03:41 PM

The manuals never state horsepower, but I think all the tests back then gave the 400 about 48hp or there abouts. they feel like a good running 250 2-stroke on steroids.

• Milhaus

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:25 PM

It is the most reliable of all the current 4 strokes. I know it may be hard to imagine, but I am still running the original head and valves.

Is this true of only the 400s or does it spill over onto the 426s?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:07 PM

Gotta chime in also. My 99 yz400 is still going strong. That bike has a ton of hours on it. I have flogged that bike to death and it is still going strong. It is now my backup bike when my CRF valves go out. Yamaha is still on its 1st set of valves and never fails to run, Honda.....3rd set of valves. What the hell.....

My yz still has the stock piston in it even just re-ringed it is all.

I would check to see if the timing chain has been replaced yet. If it hasent you may want to do it. A few years back there was a rash of jumped timing on the 400's due to timing chain stretch. Its only like $35 for a new chain. It makes for a good time to re-ring it and shim the valves so you know exactly where the motor is at. Total job shouldn't cost ya more than $100.

Oh and DONT overtorque the cam caps on these motors. Bad things will happen.

Other than those few things do the mainenantce and that bike will run forever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted July 16, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Ditto to what everyone prior has said. I bought mine new in 99. It is the most reliable of all the current 4 strokes. I know it may be hard to imagine, but I am still running the original head and valves. Other than adjustments with shims the whole upper end has been rock solid. I replaced the piston once and that was out of guilt. I just figured it was time. I was wrong, the top end was in perfect shape. MX Tech did wonders with the suspension front and rear. and a fly wheel weight helped for trail riding. Those were the only mods made. Its on its 2nd clutch. not bad for 6 years of riding.

'99 400; no motor more durable. I just checked my valves again yesterday (7/15/06) , last check was 12/2004. Guess what? They're still within spec, never ever had to shim them since I bought it new in '99.:-) Granted I don't ride every weekend though.

• theclone

Posted July 16, 2006 - 09:31 PM

wow, I hardly remember this thread!

might as well give an update on how things are going.
the first few weeks of owning it I had a hard time starting it. but now I know the drill by heart, and it usually fires up first kick.
I changed the oil about 3 weeks after buying it, and it was BLACK. this guy definitely hadn't changed it in a while.
Hard to remember all the details of maintanence and stuff, but basically I just do the basics and I have had no major problems and very few minor ones. :thumbsup:
I do mostly desert and mountain trail riding, been to the track once and realized how heavy this thing is/feels. But oh well.
Someday I'd like to upgrade to a newer bike (I'd still keep the YZ of course, she's my baby. Maybe turn her into a 'tard) but I can see this bike lasting me forever.

Oh yeah, this was my first bike too. :ride:

• tom nolan

Posted July 17, 2006 - 07:30 AM

It's nice to see that there are still a lot of happy 400 owners out there, me being one of them. I would't give it up for anything. I plan to be burried with it.

• rdefonce

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:55 AM

wow, I hardly remember this thread!

might as well give an update on how things are going.
the first few weeks of owning it I had a hard time starting it. but now I know the drill by heart, and it usually fires up first kick.
I changed the oil about 3 weeks after buying it, and it was BLACK. this guy definitely hadn't changed it in a while.
Hard to remember all the details of maintanence and stuff, but basically I just do the basics and I have had no major problems and very few minor ones. :thumbsup:
I do mostly desert and mountain trail riding, been to the track once and realized how heavy this thing is/feels. But oh well.
Someday I'd like to upgrade to a newer bike (I'd still keep the YZ of course, she's my baby. Maybe turn her into a 'tard) but I can see this bike lasting me forever.

Oh yeah, this was my first bike too. :ride:

Clone, good to hear your YZ is working good for you. Quite a "first" bike!
Your comments make me think about keeping mine too; I was considering selling it.:-o

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted July 17, 2006 - 11:38 AM

I have just got my bike to the point of being able to break it in. I bought mine for 800 bucks and it was in pretty bad shape. I've probably got about 1800 total at this point. I'm talking replaced the head with a 2000 WR, new timing chain, new tires, new piston, new bearings, new brakes, new chain, etc. I have never owned a four stroke till now. I love the constant grunt of power. After break in I'll move to the suspension. It's not a hard bike to work on just make sure you do your maintenance religiously. Not like the tool I bought mine from. Hope you get the bike and if you do enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Markopolo400

Posted July 17, 2006 - 11:43 AM

I bought a 1999 yz400f in April for $1500.

I have raced it since then with no problems what so ever. Even bringing home 3 moto wins on it. :thumbsup: It still starts first kick, no matter what. Funny thing is...That I have never once used the hot-start. It still starts first kick.

I love this thing...But I might be selling it for an 06 yz250f...Or not. :ride:

• dirtbike_newb

Posted July 17, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I wanted to add to this since everybody was on the subject of how much they love their 400.

I bought mine back in Feb in awesome condition for being an older bike. It was also my first bike coming from owning quads and riding my friend's CR500. I put a bigger tank on for long trail rides as well as a JD jet kit. To me this thing is a beast...I can't imagine what a 450 would be like. I can tell its got a little weight up top, but I love it anyways. When I was back in Ocala for plant shutdown I had a chance to race my buddy on his CR500 and another on a 525EX. My friend w/ the 500 was impressed, but the KTM rider was really surprised. He and I were pretty much even. I've got some video of us racing in a field that I will post if I can.

Edit: Here's a couple unedited vids.

http://www.basob.com/movies/race.wmv

http://www.basob.com/movies/race2.wmv

• burto644

Posted July 18, 2006 - 01:04 AM

i have a 98. it has more than enough power for me and keeps up with my mates ktm 520 on the trails. it handles itself well on jumps and has a solid motor. if you keep the good maintenence up to it it will last a lifetime. couldn't reccomend the bike more.
cheers sam

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted July 18, 2006 - 06:45 AM

I had a Friend that had a 99 YZ400 and it was a nice bike but i only ride woods so i think my 98 WR was better , i just went to a KAW 450 and for the woods and i really like it , my WR 400 IS FOR SALE .

• onecolumbyte

Posted July 18, 2006 - 11:43 AM

I live in West Sacramento CA and just bought a '99 for $2000 and the guy threw in his boots to go with it. I hadn't planned on getting this big of a bike (I'm a new rider and thought I would get a 250) but the bike was a steal and I LOVE IT.
From what I've read here on TT about the biggest problem is the chain slider. Motoman393's website actually has a pic of a cracked swingarm because of this. Here's a link Motoman393 check the tech articles.
I like the sidestand on the on in the pic. I have to lean mine against a tree while it's warming up. I'm also thining about getting a heavier flywheel for trails riding.
Let us know what you think!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.