*Attention YZ400 owners!*

64 replies to this topic
  • cobra427

Posted December 30, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Hey 04klxter, hang in there. If you have been on the yz for awhile, yeah you may have an adjustment. Most people find the fours easier to ride but hey, everyone is different. I had an 02 yz 250 and it had some mods and the hit on the bike was ballistic. I could ride the bike don't get me wrong but when I sold it and got my fourstroke my riding improved. Having a more predictable powerband, torque in every gear (requiring less shifting), less vibration and new confidence, I was able to totally step my riding game up. I snagged a 98 yz400 for $2500....RG3 susp (185lb.rider) I'm 195, Renthals, GPR steering stabilizer, Dunlop 756 r/r f/r, Pro Circuit full system & extra header, Stock system, New Acerbis plastics, One Ind. Gripper seat, Jetted carb, Ported head and a LA Sleeve Big bore kit 420cc, Devol radiator guards, Skid plate and a tank full of VP U4!!!!! This bike has been a jewel and fiercely reliable. The T4 system gives the bike a bit of too much off idle yank but we do okay. When I get the topend serviced I'll throw in a auto decomp. cam....I got the drill down but I rather live without it. I loved my 250, you could eat off of it but I owe my increased riding skills and confidence to the 98 yz 400
:applause:
Posted Image

• 03klxter

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Thanks you guys I think I will take the good advise and hang onto this bike I guess this old dog just needs to learn a new trick :applause:

• hate2crash

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:06 PM

I bought myy 99yz 400 the end of 04 and got it for $1500 which I am learning is a steal, I had the suspension done and put a 10 ounce fly wheel weight on it and then rode the hell out of it, I race it in tccra,the bike makes plenty of power to still be competitive, I change the oil about every 8 hours, I use silkoline synthetic 15w 50, the bike is virtually bullet proof, what kind of specs are you looking for?

• mobley1019

Posted January 02, 2006 - 02:52 PM

I Just Bought My Yz400f About A Month Ago For 2,5oo. Its A Steal Ive Learned And Priced The Wheels At About 1,000 For The Set, Maybe More. I Just Ordered An Owners Manual For It And Itll Be A Few Weeks Before I Get It. Can Anyone Tell Me Where The Hell I Get To The Oil Filter So I Dont Have To Wait For The Manual. I Also Wanna Know What Kind Of Oil Everyone Uses For Their Own Bike.

• 03klxter

Posted January 02, 2006 - 03:09 PM

You can get the oil filter at your local Yamaha dealer I dont know of any other place to get one .As far as motor oil goes I have been running shell rottela t sythetic 5w40 in all of my bikes. I think its some of the best oil out there and its fairly cheap you can get it at walmart . :applause:

• YZippy

Posted January 02, 2006 - 05:13 PM

I picked up a 98 yz400 on ebay about 3 months ago paid $1,450 it came with loads of extras and aftermarket parts .I am trying to get use to the 4 stroke weight and power but cant seem to feel at home on this bike .I dont know if its the weight or the power or just me ? I grew up riding 2 strokes but I thought I would give the 4 strokes a try .I may be selling this bike and going back to a yz250 2 stroke if I cant feel at home on it soon . Has anyone else felt this way ???? Does anyone own both the yz250 2 stroke and the yz400f ???

I'm in the same boat. Starting woes were my first hurdle, then after a good carb clean it was ride time :bonk: . I love the power, but the weight and height is something I just can't come to terms with. On the track it is a joy, but in the woods....... :applause: I got a very mechanically sound, but cosmetically average 98. I got it for a steal and will probably let it go soon make a profit and buy a 250 or 200 2 Smoke in the spring.

• rockcrawlerdude

Posted January 02, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I'm in the same boat. Starting woes were my first hurdle, then after a good carb clean it was ride time :bonk: . I love the power, but the weight and height is something I just can't come to terms with. On the track it is a joy, but in the woods....... :applause: I got a very mechanically sound, but cosmetically average 98. I got it for a steal and will probably let it go soon make a profit and buy a 250 or 200 2 Smoke in the spring.

well if either of you want to sell their 400's let me know im looking for one as we speak...nathan

• hate2crash

Posted January 02, 2006 - 07:14 PM

the oil filter is on the waterpump side of the engine above the water pump, one allen head bolt, 2 - 5/16 hex head bolts its also kind of behind the exhaust header pipe, you can loosen the pipe and move it out of the way enough to get the bolt out, I've always ran silkoline 15w 50 synthetic oil changed about every eight hours. hope this helps.

• YZippy

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:13 PM

well if either of you want to sell their 400's let me know im looking for one as we speak...nathan

I'm a long way from Texas, but mine will be up for sale within a month. Got to go otta town, but when I get back it is go over bike and get ready to sell time. Love the bike, but I just want something shorter and easier to deal with in the woods. I'll probably regret it :applause: :bonk: :cry:

Race Tech Forks (Gold valves) Wiseco Piston, new bottom end bearings, timing chain, New rod, bearing, waterpump shaft and impeller. Applied Triples TAG bars, Excel front rim, Graphics (not applied the best), twin air, DID Xring, JT sprocket, MSR perch and DeVol frame guards. Gonna miss her.....

• Clayman

Posted January 02, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Anyone have a realistic weight on the 400? If I remember right it was around 250-252 wet with no gas, correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 03, 2006 - 08:13 AM

The pic of the 400 looks good, but sorry no factory specs here.

The 400 is a bit heavier than the 426, and a lot heavier than the 450. It is definitely noticable...especially if you crash in the desert or jump it on the track. It has a tractor of a powerband though, TONS of fun. I prefer it to the 450 for that reason alone. It is down about two horsepower on the 426.

• YZippy

Posted January 03, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yamaha said 233 dry. I've read 247 ready to rid (with gas) I think that is about right. When I compare with my RMX it sounds right. THe RMX was 248, but I shaved about 10Lbs off mine. THe YZ feels heavier tham my old RMX. Even if it was the same weight it would FEEL heavier due to higher center of gravity, power delivery etc.

• YZippy

Posted January 03, 2006 - 05:20 PM

The 400 is a bit heavier than the 426, and a lot heavier than the 450. It is definitely noticable...especially if you crash in the desert or jump it on the track. It has a tractor of a powerband though, TONS of fun. I prefer it to the 450 for that reason alone. It is down about two horsepower on the 426.

You've got that right!!! Last time I rode I was passing 250Fs and 250 smokers on the straight like they were in reverse. The motor is a work of art!! Just the sweetest power! I swapped with my friend who has a 05 250F and he was awestruck. Conversly I loved the 250F due to the light weight and still very good power. I'm 5'7" and the 400 is just a handfull for me, but damn the power!!!! :applause:

• rdefonce

Posted January 04, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Agreed, my ol' 400 at first seemed light to me, until a couple years ago I jumped on my buddie's CR500 Honda; talking about fast and light. :applause:

Then I rode another buddie's 05 450 Honda a couple months ago; felt like a 250-sized bike. Whoa.:-o

Funny thing though, the old 400 is so well sorted that (for me anyhow) it still handled better than those bikes, even the CR450F.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:33 AM

my brother has a 98 YZ400 that has over 20,000 miles on it. Never been touched! Not even has had the valves adjusted. Still runs hard to this day and even keeps up with my heavily modified 04 WR450. His bike has been redickulously reliable!

• theclone

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:52 AM

my brother has a 98 YZ400 that has over 20,000 miles on it. Never been touched! Not even has had the valves adjusted. Still runs hard to this day and even keeps up with my heavily modified 04 WR450. His bike has been redickulously reliable!

20,000?! Damn! Yeah I have ridden this bike a few times since last Thursday and I absolutely love it. The power is incredible. Hopefully this weekend I will take it up to the desert and do some real riding!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 05, 2006 - 11:20 AM

20,000?! Damn! Yeah I have ridden this bike a few times since last Thursday and I absolutely love it. The power is incredible. Hopefully this weekend I will take it up to the desert and do some real riding!

yes around 20,000 miles of dirt riding. It's true. I've been been with him all those miles since he's had it. Just changing the oil and taking care of his YZ400 has got him a incredible bike over the years. His 400 is the reason I bought my WR450 after seeing and proving to me how reliable the motor and bike is.

• viggen

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:21 PM

I purchased a 99 yz400 this past spring & it's been my first trail bike since 1991 :applause:

Anyways, I payed $1600 for the bike & I have spent $400-500 on new bearings, suspension redo & a few misc pieces. Love the bike

My complaint is it's a complete PITA to start at times. When it's cold (like 45 degrees or less) as well as really hot from track time it can be a PITA.

• rdefonce

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I purchased a 99 yz400 this past spring & it's been my first trail bike since 1991 :applause:

Anyways, I payed $1600 for the bike & I have spent $400-500 on new bearings, suspension redo & a few misc pieces. Love the bike

My complaint is it's a complete PITA to start at times. When it's cold (like 45 degrees or less) as well as really hot from track time it can be a PITA.

Mine too at times; hard to start.:-(
I've heard this helps: put larger starter jet in bike, since they come with too-lean ones from factory. I went up from stock 45 pilot to 48, which helped.

Also (when luke-warm, not dead cold), don't use hot-start, and give it gas when kicking usually works. If hot start doesn't work when really hot, then try no hot start and give it gas.

• tntmo

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:54 AM

Mine too at times; hard to start.:-(
I've heard this helps: put larger starter jet in bike, since they come with too-lean ones from factory. I went up from stock 45 pilot to 48, which helped.

Also (when luke-warm, not dead cold), don't use hot-start, and give it gas when kicking usually works. If hot start doesn't work when really hot, then try no hot start and give it gas.

I bought mine used, don't know what it has as far as jetting is concerned but my bike starts really easy. I never use the hot start, even after I drop the bike. Two kicks cold, one kick hot, three kicks after a drop.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.