Does the 06 yzf450 front end push??

14 replies to this topic
  • hvyw8t

Posted December 27, 2005 - 05:08 PM

I am seeing this in the mags and around the local tracks that guys with 06 450s are complaining about some odd handling. I havent seen much said about this. Fact or fiction? The guys i have talked to who have ridden them concur and have said its very 2002 crf-esk. Whats the scoop?

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 27, 2005 - 05:21 PM

If you did some searching on the forums here, you would find that it is mostly due to the front 739 tire. Remove it and it behaves like any other bike out there with a non-739 front tire.

• amittairise

Posted December 27, 2005 - 06:32 PM

I just bought a 06 yz450f.I've had multiple crf's every year since 03.They improved every year.I switched for two reasons,1st I was just ready for a change.Hondas are great,I never did experience any valve issues.Out of seven crf's,only once were the valves out of spec,and that took about 20min. to remedy.The second reason was I went over the bars,knocked myself out and dislocated my shoulder.Because i don't actually remember what transpired,I figure it's a good time to change up the program.It's my psychology on myself.I think it's good to preface an opinion with a little background to give people a little better perspective.
1st-anyone who says an 06yz450f doesn't turn,pushes ect... is a f...idiot.J/K.The bike did push in the soft stuff the first few laps.I came off the track,raised the bars,got up on the front of the bike and didn't have any more issues with the front end.I will go to a 756 after a few more rides.I want to isolate one area at a time.My last 05crf had RG3 20mm offsets and the linkage.This bike turns way better.I was shocked.The Yzf requires different body english.Ergonomically the cockpit is way different.The suspension is some of the best out-of-the box stuff i've ever been on.The front brake is mushy even after i bled it multiple times.Some of my faster friends like the front brake.I prefer the honda front brake,it seems be more sensitive and transfers more feel back, if that makes any sense.The bike seems to want to be ridden more agressively.In the motor dept.the Honda pulled harder.I haven't rejetted,but im sure there's a rocket in there somewhere.It felt like i was working alot harder coming out of corners in 3rd into jumps.Then again,I just got back on a bike after about 12 days.My shoulder is sore and i'm not pushing.The turning is definately where this bike shines over the crf.The stock pro-tapers are way to low for me and probably contribute most to the front end push thing.Especially because there is a certain uniformity in the feel of the Crf,Rmz,and the Kxf.Hence the body position not far enough forward.Also the tire and track conditions are always a factor.The package comes together for a real nice ride.I forgot how nice it is to lay a bike over!What's up with that oil change from hell??

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Good to hear, especially the comment on the suspension, and particularly coming from one who's spent so much time on "the other side of the tracks", so to speak. The 739 tire is an issue, and when things get soft, they cause trouble. Other things I've heard about the '06 are that the bike really responds to pulling the forks up 5mm.

As far as power is concerned, check out the charts Burned came up with:

http://www.thumperta...55&parentpage=2

:applause:

• RAMARION

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:04 PM

NO.........my 450F turns better than my 250F........739 tire worked well also?????

BTW, I raised the forks 5mm before my first ride (I raised the forks on all my rides)

• amittairise

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:25 PM

My forks were already raised.After the initial break-in I ditched the chain and went up a tooth to a 50.I will also re-jet before i go back out thurs.I put some windham bend pro-tapers.Watch out wally...i,m feelin it...Thanks for the jetting info.

• Satch0922

Posted December 28, 2005 - 05:33 PM

I rode one in loose dirt around a few barrels in the parking lot....does that count? LOL Even with the 739 (who wants a ride to the ER) front tire...it did not push or want to wash out. I may have the opportunity to ride the same bike again this Saturday on the track. I will let you know.

BTW...the bike is a work of art. The power is smooth ...and when it gets to the midrange and above....look out...it starts to move into hyperdrive. I think people who think the bike is a little soft are short shifting it. This bike has PLENTY of thrust! :applause:

I will chime in when/if I get more seat time (DPW....hint hint :bonk: )

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXKyle

Posted December 29, 2005 - 12:48 PM

Ok, now that I've had my second ride and this time on my home track I can say that yes the front end does push. That is until you raise the forks in the triple clamp a little more. The track was medium soft soil with that perfect moisture content and ungroomed except for the jump faces with monster breaking bumps. Just the way I like it.

My first moto of practice was very disappointing because of the way the bike was pushing in the turns. I knew how fast I should have been able to go but couldn't begin to get comfortable enough to go there. I came in and worried about it for a couple of minutes then decided to raise the forks a little higher. I already had them moved up to single line that is about 8mm below the top of the forks so I moved them about another 5mm past the line. That was all it took. I was suddenly able to dive into the berms like I should have before. As the suspension broke in more during the day it just got better. It's amazing how only 5mm can have such a drastic effect.

Engine still sounds like crap at the lower RPMs and seemed to get worse as the day wore on but it didn't slow anything down. Everything felt good and confidence inspiring. I even busted that last large set of doubles that I had always wanted to try but hadn't quite gotten the nerve for.

--KT--

• gdbarr1976

Posted December 29, 2005 - 02:15 PM

This is from a off road guy. I just spent the last few hours with my son who has a 05 450 doing laps on our practice woods loop at our house. We have been riding almost every day since I got my o6 2 wks ago this Sat. Does the front end push. In stock trim for sure. I put on a used pirelli which helped some. I raised the forks to the first mark which helped some. I gave it a couple of clicks of rebound damping which helped some. Today before we rode I raised the forks about 1/2 as much as the distance to the first mark. That has just about got it fixed. I'ver got some risers that will raise the bars about 1 inch and I am going to try that but raising the forks is the big fix.

BTW I called all the usual suspects to get a heavy flywheel. I think it is going to be a while before one is available. The Steahly guys said 2 months. I think I am going auto clutch. Any advice?

• Satch0922

Posted December 29, 2005 - 05:36 PM

Kyle...have you set your sag and rejetted?

• 642MX

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I rode one in loose dirt around a few barrels in the parking lot....does that count? LOL Even with the 739 (who wants a ride to the ER) front tire...it did not push or want to wash out. I may have the opportunity to ride the same bike again this Saturday on the track. I will let you know.

BTW...the bike is a work of art. The power is smooth ...and when it gets to the midrange and above....look out...it starts to move into hyperdrive. I think people who think the bike is a little soft are short shifting it. This bike has PLENTY of thrust! :bonk:

I will chime in when/if I get more seat time (DPW....hint hint :cry: )

Are you done with mixing gas and oil yet? :applause: Maybe a new 4 stroke in the future?

• MXKyle

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Kyle...have you set your sag and rejetted?

Yes to both. At 190 I seem to be that perfect weight for the big Yammi. They seem to be setting the bike up for my weight and I haven't had to change the sag from the factory setting on my last couple of big bikes (my 125 came setup for someone much smaller). The forks have been too soft for me on each of those bikes but the rear suspension always seems fine. Other than the rear sag I rarely start changing any setting on the suspension until it is well broken in and it will need another couple of rides before its ready for me to start fine tuning.

I am now running a 170 main, a 45 pilot and have the fuel screw at 2 and a quarter turns. The motor seems to be pulling good and the bigger pilot stopped most all of the popping on deceleration. :applause:

--KT--

• DPW

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:13 AM

So what I get out of this post is raise the forks, new front tire, and get on the front of the bike and it will turn..right?

I bet if you put a 739 on front of your previous turning monster the bike will all of a sudden mysteriously start pushing in corners...

signed,

Mr. f...idiot

• Satch0922

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:01 PM

Are you done with mixing gas and oil yet? :applause: Maybe a new 4 stroke in the future?

I will be mixing for awhile yet. Even if a thumper is in the garage...I will still have the 05....and of course...the 82 ! :bonk:

• Satch0922

Posted December 30, 2005 - 06:01 PM

So what I get out of this post is raise the forks, new front tire, and get on the front of the bike and it will turn..right?

I bet if you put a 739 on front of your previous turning monster the bike will all of a sudden mysteriously start pushing in corners...

signed,

Mr. f...idiot

I like this DPW guy..... :bonk:
:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.