Mr. Bill, YZ timing ?

17 replies to this topic
  • WRFUN

Posted September 03, 2001 - 02:52 PM

Taking my bike in to get YZ timed. What do you think if I have the shop start with your jetting bench marks, living here in Chicagoland ILL. Also I did the grey wire mod and it produced a bad hesitation from 0-1/4 throttle, and got worse when I put the cork back in the exhaust ( trying for stealth here in town, COPS). But seemed to pull better after 1/4 throttle. So I reconnected the grey wire till after YZ timing. I'm new to dirt bike riding and this hole thumper bussiness which I'm starting to LOVE. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

pete

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 03, 2001 - 03:35 PM

what year is your WR?

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• WRFUN

Posted September 03, 2001 - 06:24 PM

SORRY !!!!!!!!!!!

99 WR400
uncorked stock pipe
lid off
throttle screw cut

• Bill

Posted September 04, 2001 - 03:21 PM

Sorry dude, thought I replied to this. Yes, you can use my jetting for a baseline on your 99 and YZ timing.

Remember to make all your adjustments and gather feedback, once the bike is fully warmed up (at least 15 minutes)

I have not done the grey wire thing, my bike is scary enough :)

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• WRFUN

Posted September 04, 2001 - 05:04 PM

Bill,

Is the extra power worth the effort, I see alot of jetting problem listed in this forum :). Don't need that trouble, I just want to ride, and of course with as much power as i can get. My brother-in-law has a YZ 125 and would love for him to just eat my dust :D.

Thanks for your help as always,

Pete

• WRFUN

Posted September 05, 2001 - 11:49 AM

Originally posted by WRFUN:
Bill,

Is the extra power worth the effort, I see alot of jetting problem listed in this forum :). Don't need that trouble, I just want to ride, and of course with as much power as i can get. My brother-in-law has a YZ 125 and would love for him to just eat my dust :D.

Thanks for your help as always,

Pete

• Bill

Posted September 05, 2001 - 01:36 PM

Dub-R,

I waited for quite a while before I changed my jetting and timing. After I bought my pipe the jetting was a nightmare to say the least. For a while I was going to buy stock in NGK, I was fouling so many plugs :)

I just hung around while James Dean, Taffy, Clark Mason and others came up with a proven baseline configuration for YZ timed bikes. Then with the help of mcarp, Kevin in NH, mike68, npuza and several barley pops. We changed my bike to YZ timing and the basic jetting in my signature. From there, I just went up one on the pilot, to the 50 and have not touched it since.

It starts great, has a very slightly softer (YZ timing) bottom, with no burrbling or hesitation, pulls hard and rips from just before the mid and screams to the top. I wished, I had done the mods sooner.

Go for it :D

Bill

• mcarp

Posted September 06, 2001 - 08:08 AM

Definitely would recommend YZ timing! Like Bill, I had more jetting problems in the stock WR configuration. YZ time seens to be easier to dial in
The performance difference is quite real! Go for it!

Im jetted pretty close to Bill--

• WRFUN

Posted September 06, 2001 - 11:22 AM

All right you got me excited for -- MORE POWER :). Now how about some part#'s for the 99 WR, I see alot of part#'s flying and I want to make sure I order the right ones so I can do everything at once. My bike runs really good now. I can't wait... my brother-in-law has a YZ 125 and is going to get a good old fashion butt kicking. Everyone has been great and I really appreciate all the help!!!!!!! :D

Pete

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mdek

Posted September 06, 2001 - 12:52 PM

I just changed my 2000 wr to yz timing. What a difference, I should have done it a long time ago

• Bill

Posted September 06, 2001 - 01:53 PM

Dub-R,

I also should include telling you that the bike has been de-octopussed. You'll find the instuctions in the Tech section of TT.

In doing this, I switched to the 100 pilot air jet and 65 start jet.

Might as well go all the way and eliminate the chance of air leaks by de-octopussing.

Bill

• TeamScream

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:06 PM

Hey Bro,
The YZ timing is a really easy mod to do yourself, and unless you are TOTALY NOT mechanicaly inclined you can do it in an hour in your garage, if you would like step by step instructions on how I did mine (2 nights ago) then ask and I will be glad to walk you through it, better yet if you want phone support I will email you my phone #.
DONT pay to have this done somewhere unless you are totaly wig'd about doing it your self.
Dauv

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #5,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal (sort of) Pure Super Motard w/17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• mdek

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:19 PM

team scream, what does ca street legal (sort of ) mean?

Mark

• WRFUN

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:32 PM

TeamScream my E-mail address is Champion187@core.com send me all the info you have, even the Phone tech support hot line number - Never can tell. Does anyone have the part #'s for the needles and jets that Bill recommends for the 99 WR. I'll give it a try!!! :) Thanks again,

Pete

• TeamScream

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:43 PM

It means that it is registered (plate is on its way from DMV) but not all the "legal" stuff is there, for example I have turn signals mounted but they arent hooked up, and I dont have a working horn, other than that I have an Acerbis mirror (one of those ones that is barely a mirror).

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #5,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal (sort of) Pure Super Motard w/17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• TeamScream

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:45 PM

heheh WR
the Tech Support Phone "Hotline" is my home phone number...
I was offering to let you call me if you were in need of verbal support prior to doing this mod, I know I like to talk to live bodies before I do anything major that I havent done before....
i sent you an email with my #, call me if you want to know anything about any of the mods I have done to my bike.

------------------

• WRFUN

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:03 PM

TeamScream

Thanks, sent you a E-mail back. After I find the part #'s and pick-up all the needles and jets , you can bet on it, I will call you on the Tech. support number. Again --YOUR TO COOL. I love this @%$&. :)

Later,

Pete

• mdek

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:04 PM

team scream, how did you organize you plate with the 3 or c thing?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.